What's new

Updated ASUS RT-AC88U firmware - now can't read files on connected USB flash drive

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

hdtvluvr

Occasional Visitor
My daughter has had a 8 GB USB flash drive connected to this router since the beginning (a few years). She backs up certain files to it. She updated the router firmware and now she can't read or write files to it. It does show up under network on her Mac so it is seen. I'm helping her long distance. I had her go into the router settings and eject the USB drive, remove it and connect it directly to her computer. All of the files are there and can be read so I don't think it is a bad USB drive. She connected it back to the router and the Mac still sees it but can't read or write the files. She can see "MyFiles" which is what we named it but can not see files or folders under that.

We also tried to log into the USB using the "Connect As" dialog box in the router software, entered the correct password and it still doesn't work. How can we get the flash drive and its contents readable/writable again?

From which version to which version did she update?

If more than a few version increments, it may be time to do a full reset on that router to get it working as expected.

A long shot, but she may also want to unplug the router, disconnect all USB drivers, cables, and power and let it sit for 5 to 10 minutes with the power button 'on', if possible. Then plug everything in and boot up again.

And will she lose the latest firmware? If so, should it be updated before setting up all of the settings?

Is the reset you are referring to, the button on the back or "Restore" Factory Default within the router setup software?

Last edited:
Is the reset you are referring to, the button on the back or "Restore" Factory Default within the router setup software?
That's what he was referring to. Either method will have the same effect - wiping all user settings and requiring the router to be setup again.

According to this post Apple removed SMBv1 support recently (which is what the router uses AFAIK). Did this problem coincide with a macOS update?

In the router setup page it references SMBv1. She is on the latest version of Catalina with all of it's available updates. She has not updated to Big Sur because there is a program that isn't compatible yet. I think it has been several weeks since she had tried to access the flash drive and the updates did occur within that time frame. We do know it worked back in July and may have since July.

Your link mentions SMBUp which isn't compatible with Catalina (seems it is a 32 bit app).

She needs access to this flash drive to be password protected (as it was before now) and the password was in keychain so that access was automatic (the password did not need to be entered every time she accessed the drive).

Are there any options to connect something to one of the ethernet ports to fulfill her needs? 8 GB or more, password protected with password in keychain? Her flash drive was not password protected (she opened it fine when connected to her laptop without a PW prompt). PW was required by the router connection. If the new drive can be password protected itself (whether connected to the router or directly to a computer) and the PW can be stored in keychain so she doesn't have to manually enter it every time would actually be better.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
I'm not a mac user but a quick Google does appear to confirm that SMBv1 was dropped in Catalina. The solution posted here involved enabling SMBv2 on the NAS which is not an option for the router (using stock firmware). This post describes a way of re-enabling SMBv1 in Catalina.

I think I was editing my post above while you were responding. Would you please re-read the post?

It seems SMBv1 isn't very secure, Asus probably won't update their firmware for a later version and assuming they do, this issue may occur again in Big Sur or a later version of OS without any potential resolution so maybe we need to find another storage solution as mentioned in the above post.

Two options come to mind straight away.

1) Buy a NAS that supports SMBv2 and remove any reliance on the router (and probably get much better performance).

2) Replace the stock Asus firmware with Merlin's that does have support for SMBv2.

So I would have to "turn on" SMBv2 or v3 within Catalina to use a NAS? And then potentially with Big Sur?

Well, a good solution would be a USB to NAS solution that would allow connecting a 8GB or so flash drive to it and then it to the router using ethernet. I just spent about a half hour and can't find anything "modern"meaning nothing to support SMBv2 or v3. Looking for a small unit and less than about $100. It doesn't need to house a hard drive.

Since I'm doing this from a distance, changing the firmware to Merlin isn't an option. And I'm not familiar with its setup.

So I would have to "turn on" SMBv2 or v3 within Catalina to use a NAS? And then potentially with Big Sur?
You wouldn't have to make any changes within Catalina. SMBv2 and v3 support are already enabled, it's just SMBv1 that's been disabled.

I had a similar issue. I had an old Apple extreme router that I hook to my asus router via ethernet. I put the Apple extreme in bridge mode and connected an external drive to it. This took care of the issue I was having accessing or writing to the external drive. This might help.

Well, I happen to have thrown away an Apple Extreme this past weekend. Put the trash out last night. Luckily they hadn't picked up earlier today and I was able to retrieve it. That stuff never happens.

So if I put it in bridge mode is the wifi still active? If it is, is there a way to turn that off so no one can connect directly? I'd only want access through the router it is connected to. To set it up, do I connect it to my computer and make the changes or connect it to the router then make the changes?

Yes. the wifi will be active in your Asus router. I plug the power on Air Port Extreme and use Mac Apple Extreme utility in Mac to set it as bridge. I then plug ethernet connection from Apple Extreme to router attached the usb drive to Apple Extreme and it work. To access the drive do the following: Go to finder-go-connect to server and input IP address for Asus router there.When you try to connect to ASUS router via IP address it will ask you for user and password (which are the user and password you would put to configure your router) to the router in order to connect. This is a way to make sure only the people you want to connect will be able to the network drive in your wifi network. It then saves the password information in Mac and you don't have to re-enter it every time you access the drive. I hope this helps.

Great, but I meant is the Wifi of the Airport Extreme still active? I don't think I'd want that available and broadcasting its SSID. The firmware (security patches) haven't been updated on the AE by Apple for years.

So I connect the AE to my computer, configure it in the AE Utility and then move it and connect to my router?

No. When you set it in bridge mode it is not broadcasting any wifi signals. You don't have to connect the AE to computer unless it was previously in bridge mode. It will broadcast a signal as soon as you give it power. You can use the AE utility in Mac to put it in bridge mode. Once in bridge mode you won't be able to access it anymore via wifi. I don't think the patches for AE matter, but I am not sure on that.

I had to connect the AE to my modem, connect to it by Wifi in order to see it in the Airport Utility. Then I
  • Opened the AirPort Utility.
  • Selected the Extreme, and then, selected Edit.
  • Select Advanced.
  • Selected the "DHCP and NAT" option, and then, Router Mode.
  • Changed Router Mode to: Off (Bridge Mode)
  • Clicked on Update
I also had to turn off Wireless to get the broadcast signal to go away.

I can now see the the USB flash drive that is attached to the AE. It shows up under "Locations" in the finder window. The AE is no longer broadcasting its SSID. I think this is going to work perfectly. Thanks!

Katy

My daughter and I were finally able to try to connect the AE to the ASUS but for some reason, it isn't working.

This is what you posted:
"To access the drive do the following: Go to finder-go-connect to server and input IP address for Asus router there.When you try to connect to ASUS router via IP address it will ask you for user and password (which are the user and password you would put to configure your router) to the router in order to connect."

She has it connected by ASUS/LAN to AE/WAN.
Went to "Connect to Server"
Entered the IP Address of the Asus Router.
A pop-up came up stating "There was a problem connecting to the server XXX.XXX.XX.X" the X's were #'s that I don't want to post.

What are we missing?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!