What's new

Updated Recommended Setting for AC86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Irish

New Around Here
I apologize, as I am sure somewhere in the SNB universe this has been answered, but does anyone have recommendations for the 2G/5G Settings/Pro Settings?

I have been using Merlin forever (no issues - you ROCK :cool: ), but had to switch to stock firmware to make use of AI-mesh...in that time ASUS has added butt loads of new (probably useless) features and I find myself lost yet again...I know to disable mu-mimo, beam forming etc. just not all these newfangled settings.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

A side question, if anyone may know why I seem to burn through a router every 6-12 months that would be a huge help - I know it is a bit of a reach, but hoping maybe someone has some insight. I have a smart home so at anytime I have 40-50 connected devices (light switches, plugs, etc.). I have worked with ASUS extensively and they seem lost for ideas. I am guessing there is something in my settings that is causing the issue and it seems to only kill one channel and not the other (recently my 5G went dead)...I switched to getting a 2nd AC86U, and meshing it, as ASUS's most recent thought is splitting up the workload.

Sorry for the length, hopefully some brave soul can help me out ;)

I apologize, as I am sure somewhere in the SNB universe this has been answered, but does anyone have recommendations for the 2G/5G Settings/Pro Settings?

I have been using Merlin forever (no issues - you ROCK :cool: ), but had to switch to stock firmware to make use of AI-mesh...in that time ASUS has added butt loads of new (probably useless) features and I find myself lost yet again...I know to disable mu-mimo, beam forming etc. just not all these newfangled settings.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!

A side question, if anyone may know why I seem to burn through a router every 6-12 months that would be a huge help - I know it is a bit of a reach, but hoping maybe someone has some insight. I have a smart home so at anytime I have 40-50 connected devices (light switches, plugs, etc.). I have worked with ASUS extensively and they seem lost for ideas. I am guessing there is something in my settings that is causing the issue and it seems to only kill one channel and not the other (recently my 5G went dead)...I switched to getting a 2nd AC86U, and meshing it, as ASUS's most recent thought is splitting up the workload.

Sorry for the length, hopefully some brave soul can help me out ;)

Me, I would follow my install notes. :)

Also, Merlin now supports AiMesh... if you need something in Merlin.

OE

yes, since 384.13 you can use Merlin with full Aimesh support.
Common issue that WiFi is dying on this router, quite often seen after a firmwareupdate, maybe better or solved with 2019 models.
Have a look here: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/how-bad-are-the-ac86u-2-4ghz-issues.58899/#post-515780

Wow...wish I made this thread sooner, that makes so much sense for my experience last year with all my routers. I just now have to figure out why my 5GHz channel keeps dropping and resetting itself. Any theories? It is different than the issue I had last year as the channel would just die and stay dead until I did a Factory Reset (and would last maybe a day or two). My current issue is the 5GHz drops for about 5-20mins and then comes back online (so far it has only been 3-4x in the last month)...not a big issue, but every time it does that all of my smart switches on that channel need to be individually reset.

Wow...wish I made this thread sooner, that makes so much sense for my experience last year with all my routers. I just now have to figure out why my 5GHz channel keeps dropping and resetting itself. Any theories? It is different than the issue I had last year as the channel would just die and stay dead until I did a Factory Reset (and would last maybe a day or two). My current issue is the 5GHz drops for about 5-20mins and then comes back online (so far it has only been 3-4x in the last month)...not a big issue, but every time it does that all of my smart switches on that channel need to be individually reset.

I've only seen the 5 GHz signal drop out (come and go) after a firmware upgrade. I reflashed the same firmware, reset a few times, cycled power, and configured from scratch... never saw it again.

OE

maybe due to radar scanning in Auto-channel mode. Use a fix channel either 36-48 or 149-163 and watch next weeks.

I've only seen the 5 GHz signal drop out (come and go) after a firmware upgrade. I reflashed the same firmware, reset a few times, cycled power, and configured from scratch... never saw it again.

OE
It is funny you say that. I had only had the Mesh running for a couple days when you made that post and like clockwork my Mesh node (on the 5 GHz) stopped suddenly - I ended up losing all my light switches that were on my lower level around the node. I followed your steps and (knock-on-wood) haven't had an issue since. I used netgear's free app for android phones to find what channels my neighbors were on and found myself a couple nice peaceful channels to sit on.

I do have one follow-up if you know...I noticed (on occasion) that my internet speed will drop suddenly. I typically get around 55-60/Mbps and will suddenly drop down to 1-10 /Mbps - typically until it drops completely only to go back to normal. Any recommendations to fix that? The issue never happened prior to setting up my AI Mesh and only happens on a rare occasion.

Also really REALLY dumb question, but how much do pointing the antennas actually matter?

I do have one follow-up if you know...I noticed (on occasion) that my internet speed will drop suddenly. I typically get around 55-60/Mbps and will suddenly drop down to 1-10 /Mbps - typically until it drops completely only to go back to normal. Any recommendations to fix that? The issue never happened prior to setting up my AI Mesh and only happens on a rare occasion.

Also really REALLY dumb question, but how much do pointing the antennas actually matter?

To investigate and narrow down your speed issue, I would use a worthy PC client and perform three wired and wireless speedtest.net at each node. While performing wireless tests, I would observe the PC/Windows connection status to note the WiFi link rate speed and stability. You would collect measurements similar to this recent test I did: https://www.snbforums.com/threads/what-2-4ghz-speeds-are-you-seeing.59125/#post-516956

What firmware version are you running?

It may be hard to isolate a cause for a rare speed drop. Sometimes wholesale changes like swapping router and node can help you to see the issue move with the hardware.

I don't know the actual antenna beam pattern... that would be nice to know. I assume they have one that is formed around the line of the antenna, so tipping them would tip the pattern. I believe I've seen such results when 'aiming' the antennas up or down to increase signal strength upstairs or downstairs. My approach has been to face the antennas in a W formation toward the other node... this works here because my two nodes are on the same ground level, so the yard is covered and upstairs and downstairs get what they get which has been good enough... my upstairs bedroom is right over the router!

Best advice I can give is to start with antennas in a facing W formation and located as high and in the clear as possible... place the router away from the wall a bit, if possible.

OE

Best practice for antennas to start with is W and the outer antennas 45° to the front (or back), middle one straight up.
So you get best 3D coverage in all 3 dimensions.
In a flat maybe you get better results all straight up or outer antennas slightly to the front and back.