What's new

Updated to 388.1 on RT-AX58U and WiFi is a trainwreck

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RejZoR

Regular Contributor
Just updated from 386.7_2 to 388.1 on RT-AX58U and WiFi is absolute trainwreck. First it needed 5 minutes to even show up in list of available WIFI networks on phone after router was already fully booted up and then my phone kept complaining it can't reach DNS DoT (NextDNS) even though it worked perfectly fine before with old router firmware. It was so bad I flashed the old one back and behold, everything is instantly fixed. I've checked all my DNS settings and they are all correct in right places and everything works as it should, just not with 388.1. What the hell is going on here? I'm really not in the mood for resetting entire router clean and doing all settings all over again just to use 388.1... with no guarantee it would be fine then. Anyone else having horrible problems?

Just updated from 386.7_2 to 388.1 on RT-AX58U and WiFi is absolute trainwreck. First it needed 5 minutes to even show up in list of available WIFI networks on phone after router was already fully booted up and then my phone kept complaining it can't reach DNS DoT (NextDNS) even though it worked perfectly fine before with old router firmware. It was so bad I flashed the old one back and behold, everything is instantly fixed. I've checked all my DNS settings and they are all correct in right places and everything works as it should, just not with 388.1. What the hell is going on here? I'm really not in the mood for resetting entire router clean and doing all settings all over again just to use 388.1... with no guarantee it would be fine then. Anyone else having horrible problems?
Are you by chance using ControlD for your dns? Several of us have had similar issues when upgrading to 388.xx and we all seem to be using ControlD dns.

Many examples of horrible problems with the RT-AX58U.

If you want to really test 388.1 final, flash it first then fully reset the router. Do not use any saved backup config files. Do not plug in any previously used USB drives that were used for amtm.

I was using NextDNS on one of my AX86 router, I am behind CG-Nat using Skynet. Only switching to Quad9 wan+privacy dot works. Not sure what changed. But routing table was odd with Next DNS as WAN dns too

I was using NextDNS on one of my AX86 router, I am behind CG-Nat using Skynet. Only switching to Quad9 wan+privacy dot works. Not sure what changed. But routing table was odd with Next DNS as WAN dns too
It worked fine one version back even with NextDNS. And I need this for filtering of traffic. Have been using it for years at this point and it has been great. There were issues with stubby in the past but something got fixed and now it's broken again.

It worked fine one version back even with NextDNS. And I need this for filtering of traffic. Have been using it for years at this point and it has been great. There were issues with stubby in the past but something got fixed and now it's broken again.
Mine is working fine now. No third party scripts installed tho. Wifi has never been solid but my WAN dns set to Quad9. The only adjustment I need to make was the rebind protection. See this thread

This is my spare AX86S tho. The main AX86U using amtm Diversion, Skynet, Ntp merlin with Quad9 TLS.

Attachments

• B9B73B61-ECAB-48E6-881C-F8AC55884D25.jpeg
    B9B73B61-ECAB-48E6-881C-F8AC55884D25.jpeg
    45.8 KB · Views: 105
  • 13ECF8D5-3059-4E52-85FA-47B80C7FC1FC.png
    13ECF8D5-3059-4E52-85FA-47B80C7FC1FC.png
    35.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 9B65B9B0-11A5-41D8-B8B7-074DC0E20862.png
    9B65B9B0-11A5-41D8-B8B7-074DC0E20862.png
    112.2 KB · Views: 99
Mine is working fine now. No third party scripts installed tho. Wifi has never been solid but my WAN dns set to Quad9. The only adjustment I need to make was the rebind protection. See this thread

This is my spare AX86S tho. The main AX86U using amtm Diversion, Skynet, Ntp merlin with Quad9 TLS.
Why u using quad9 with nextdns? Look like domain dns lagging ping beween 2 server so far, rite?

Many examples of horrible problems with the RT-AX58U.

Really ?? I know several people including a engineer working from home for Ford Motor that love there AX58U. Never had one single problem with them. Your problem is you want everyone to spend 400.00 plus on a router or you say it's junk. Got news for ya 99% of people will never even consider spend that for a home router just not gonna happen and there networks still work just fine.

No, I don't have a problem. I have experience.

And your claims of what I recommend are far removed from reality.

As others have said, when upgrading from one code base (386) to another (388), factory reset using WPS method and re-enter all configs manually. If you have external storage, best to format that before reconnecting it as well, then reinstall/recreate stuff on that from scratch too. Unfortunately it is pretty much a requirement, if not in the mood then just drop back to 386.7_2.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!