What's new

Updates not working - no error message

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Preskitt.man

Regular Contributor
I have an RT68U with 380.65 installed. I had been gone several months, and when I got back, downloaded 380.68 (also .67 and .66). I first tried installing .68. I immediately got a screen that settings were being updated - after several minutes with nothing else happening, I logged back into the router (had to reenter userid/password) and basically nothing had happened, was still on 380.65. Thinking maybe I had to do this more incrementally, I tried installing .66. Same pattern. Checked system log - there were not error messages, just as no error messages appeared during the attempted upgrade. Any ideas?

I have an RT68U with 380.65 installed. I had been gone several months, and when I got back, downloaded 380.68 (also .67 and .66). I first tried installing .68. I immediately got a screen that settings were being updated - after several minutes with nothing else happening, I logged back into the router (had to reenter userid/password) and basically nothing had happened, was still on 380.65. Thinking maybe I had to do this more incrementally, I tried installing .66. Same pattern. Checked system log - there were not error messages, just as no error messages appeared during the attempted upgrade. Any ideas?
Pull power cable, unplug USB device(s), leave it unplugged for aminute, boot router and try again.

Pull power cable, unplug USB device(s), leave it unplugged for aminute, boot router and try again.

Ok - did that, and exact same results. Tried to go from .65 to .66. Loaded the file. Clicked on update. Screen went immediately to "Applying Updates - Please Wait" and stayed there. After a couple of minutes, I refreshed the page, and I came back to a login prompt. Logged in, and still on .65. No error messages anywhere. Just to be sure, I checked my downloaded firmware against the online version - same files.

Ok - did that, and exact same results. Tried to go from .65 to .66. Loaded the file. Clicked on update. Screen went immediately to "Applying Updates - Please Wait" and stayed there. After a couple of minutes, I refreshed the page, and I came back to a login prompt. Logged in, and still on .65. No error messages anywhere. Just to be sure, I checked my downloaded firmware against the online version - same files.
What if you don't hit refresh?
I've seen it taking a little while until the progress bar starts after that first screen.

After a short period of time (15 seconds), it goes back to Router Login Screen. Never lost connectivity to the router, nor did the router lose it to the internet; nor did the router reboot (all of which you would expect during a firmware update).

What's the memory usage like?

Also of interest are all fields in the Tools/Memory column.

And, over SSH or Telnet, this command:
Code:
df -h

admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 30.9M 30.9M 0 100% /
devtmpfs 124.8M 0 124.8M 0% /dev
tmpfs 124.9M 66.2M 58.7M 53% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4 62.8M 12.0M 50.7M 19% /jffs
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root#

From Tools:memory
Memory
Total
249.71 MB
Free 123.42 MB
Buffers 0.94 MB
Cache 71.50 MB
Swap usage 0.00 / 0.00 MB

Not running any scripts. Not running ad-block, or any other apps. Really, just using it as a router.

A friend had this with his 87U, a factory reset and then updating did the trick. I'd consider that approach a last resort though.

admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root# df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 30.9M 30.9M 0 100% /
devtmpfs 124.8M 0 124.8M 0% /dev
tmpfs 124.9M 66.2M 58.7M 53% /tmp
/dev/mtdblock4 62.8M 12.0M 50.7M 19% /jffs
admin@RT-AC68U:/tmp/home/root#

From Tools:memory
Memory
Total
249.71 MB
Free 123.42 MB
Buffers 0.94 MB
Cache 71.50 MB
Swap usage 0.00 / 0.00 MB

Not running any scripts. Not running ad-block, or any other apps. Really, just using it as a router.
That all looks normal. I forgot to ask anout the NVRAM in Tools.

If you're adventorous, try the recovery console update method.
Make bacups of settings before.

Look here for howto.
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/tm-ac1900-upgrading-from-376-49-to-anything-else.41703/

Here's NVRAM stats:
Internal Storage
NVRAM usage
52570 / 65536 bytes
JFFS 12.02 / 62.75 MB
That's plenty left.

Know that since 380.65 many grave security fixes were patched.
Always keep devices updated. Everything behind your router is yours, don't leave that important door open to the hackers.

Well, that's why I like to update my router - for security fixes. just not overly included to reset the router and reapply things. With my luck, I could end up even worse off. Just seems strange. I've pretty regularly updated in the past and other than when going from 78 to 80, it's just been apply the update and go on with life.

If you never get the progress bar, then it means something is interfering with the upload process. Try a different browser, and make sure you don't have security software that's running in paranoid mode.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!