What's new

Updating AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Chris313AllNight

Regular Contributor
I'm helping a friend switch ISPs in the next few days. She has a AC68U I got her 2 years ago. It has Merlin on it and I think v52-54. What is the method to use to update from that old a version to the newest stable version?

I would;

1) Backup the current configuration just to be safe (but not intend to use it).
2) Create a portable backup to USB using John's utility here.
3) Follow instructions here.
4) Perform a factory reset.
5) Setup router from scratch. If you really don't want to do this then use John's utility again to restore the backup you made with it in step 2.

The RT-AC68U is a special case. Upgrade it to 378.55 first, then upgrade to 380.64_2. After that, do a factory default reset, then manually reconfigure everything.

I plugged my RT-AC56U in today after a year of putting up with cable co. provided hardware.

For the benefit of those coming along later and searching for problems or issues with updating older versions, I was running with firmware 378.50 and could not update to the latest 380.64_2 directly.

Thanks for the awesome firmware Merlin. I'd like to suggest a small update to the 378.55 changelog mentioning this as a workaround for anyone that needs it. Something like the following:

"If you're upgrading from a version of the firmware earlier than 378.55 on <insert affected devices>, please update to this version first."

The changelog is not a good location for this, as a lot of people (especially first-time users) don't read it. Might be a good idea for the Wiki article however, where there is already a similar notice regarding the firmware format change starting with Asus's 3.0.0.4.380_3000, and it's the official documentation for flashing a router.

Also, you are coming from a much, much older version, so I can't account for all possible scenario. I was aware that the RT-AC68U needed to be flashed to 378.55 first, but not that it also affected the RT-AC56U.

.. . I'd like to suggest a small update to the 378.55 changelog..

"If you're upgrading from a version of the firmware earlier than 378.55 on <insert affected devices>, please update to this version first."

I can understand your wanting to get this important piece of information well publicised, but I'm not sure the changelog of 378.55 is the right place. I can't imagine anyone looking through that changelog now unless they make a habit of reading through all the obsolete changelogs .... I'm not sure it would be worth including such a warning in current and future changelogs either: I wonder how many people read a changelog before upgrading. Nevertheless, it's more likely to be noticed in the latest changelogs than in an obsolete one. Your basic premiss is laudable, but perhaps there's a better way to advertise the warning/information?

Edit: sorry: Merlin's reply says it all smd was posted whilst I was faffing around getting punctuation in the right place.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!