What's new

updating ssh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mathieu

Regular Contributor
Hello Small net builders

I have been using the MacOS terminal for my (very limited) ssh interactions with the router.
Upon opening the terminal, it now displays a message offering to update to zsh, which I am tempted to do.

Should I update it or not? Am I at risk of losing prior functionalities if I do so?

Thank you

That would only change your local shell to zsh. If you ssh into the router you will be using the router's shell. So the question is how much do you use the Mac's shell for local work.

Hello Small net builders

I have been using the MacOS terminal for my (very limited) ssh interactions with the router.
Upon opening the terminal, it now displays a message offering to update to zsh, which I am tempted to do.

Should I update it or not? Am I at risk of losing prior functionalities if I do so?

Thank you

Apple has switched the default terminal to zsh. I am using it now but its not required and you can go back if desired.

updating ssh

Thanks Colin
I think I've got it: that would only be relevant for my interacting with the Mac from outside. Which is never.

updating ssh
Thanks bluzfanmr1
Good to know it is reversible.

Thanks Colin
I think I've got it: that would only be relevant for my interacting with the Mac from outside. Which is never.
... or locally on the Mac. Don't confuse your Mac's terminal session shell (zsh, sh, bash, ksh, etc.) with ssh (a network protocol) they are completely different things.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!