What's new

Upgrade AC68 -> AX86U, initial setup + AiMesh

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JPF777

New Around Here
I'm looking to upgrade AC68 -> AX86U. For the initial setup for AX86U, I found instructions from L&LD (thank you!), which in summary appears to be as follows:

1) Factory hard reset (WPS NVRAM erase)
2) GUI-initiated reset to factory defaults (initialize... format JFFS.... restore...)
3) Flash Merlin
4) GUI-reset
5) Flash Merlin
6) GUI-reset
6) Connect FIOS modem to WAN
7) New 8 alphanumeric SSIDs for 2.4ghz and 5ghz
8) After router's been up for 15-30min, reboot router manually

Does that seem correct?

I'd also like to set up AiMesh using the AC68 as a node w/ a wired MoCA backhaul. My current setup is as follows:
  • Verizon FIOS Gigabit (up/down)
  • 3500sf 2-story home + basement
  • Modem + AC68 (Access Point mode) on 1st floor
  • 2 x Actiontec WCB3000N MoCa extender (basement + upstairs)
Can I use my existing Actiontec as the wired backhaul, or should I upgrade to GoCoax adapters? Will the AX86 and AC68 play nice in AiMesh, or will I end up back in AP mode where the AC68 will show up as a separate network, similar to how the Actiontecs are operating now? Appreciate any feedback, this forum is a tremendous resource!

You only need to flash Merlin once. Hard factory reset (https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039074/) and manual config.
Use Dual Band Smart Connect
Use WPA2/WPA3
2.4 GHz at 20 MHZ on channel 1, 6 or 11
5 GHz at 160 MHz on Channel 36 (to start with)
Rest of the settings your choice.

Appreciate any feedback, this forum is a tremendous resource!

If you want to waste your time, flash and reset your router 10 times. If you want mediocre performance, follow the advice above. Avoid advice from people who answer with copy and paste all the time.

Read RMerlin's Wiki first - https://github.com/RMerl/asuswrt-merlin.ng/wiki

Don't use SmartConnect, if you want to have more control over your devices and maximum performance - AC68U doesn't support SmartConnect anyway. Use WPA2/WPA3 only if you have WPA3 compatible devices and no issues with other devices. Use the highest throughput channel on 2.4GHz - the routers now are smarter and perhaps no one around you follows the 1-6-11 rule. Use 160MHz only if you have 160MHz capable devices, otherwise stick to 80MHz and non-DFS channels. Disable Protected Management Frames and Airtime Fairness, if you have issues with older or IoT devices. Disable Universal Beamforming on both bands, it's not working anyway.

If you want to waste your time, flash and reset your router 10 times. If you want mediocre performance, follow the advice above. Avoid advice from people who answer with copy and paste all the time.

Don't use SmartConnect, if you want to have more control over your devices and maximum performance - AC68U doesn't support SmartConnect anyway. Use WPA2/WPA3 only if you have WPA3 compatible devices and no issues with other devices. Use the highest throughput channel on 2.4GHz - the routers now are smarter and perhaps no one around you follows the 1-6-11 rule. Use 160MHz only if you have 160MHz capable devices, otherwise stick to 80MHz and non-DFS channels. Disable Protected Management Frames and Airtime Fairness, if you have issues with older or IoT devices. Disable Universal Beamforming on both bands, it's not working anyway.

this is great, thanks. I also have disable WPS,

this is terrific, thanks! got my AX86 up and running, speed as hell and much wider signal range than my AC68.

I'm thinking about swapping out my Actiontec in my basement for the goCoax MoCA 2.5 Ethernet over Coax adapter. So I would basically need to get 2 of the goCoax (1 to connect to the AX86 & coax cable on the 1st floor, and the 2nd would go in the basement where I would connect my old AC68 router to it as an Access Point).

Is that all there is to it? Dumb question, but just to confirm there are no benefits to getting the 2.5GbE RJ45 LAN version of the goCoax if I only get 1gigabit speed from FIOS?

So my AX86 has been up and running overnight, internet on my Mac that's directly connected via Cat5e is blazing fast, as are the devices connected to the Guest network I set up (2.4GHz or 5.0 GHz).

However, if I connect a device (e.g., MacBook, iPhone) to the main 2.4 or 5.0GHz SSIDs, they are not getting any internet service. My settings are as follows (any settings not mentioned are left as default):
  1. In Wireless Section
    • General Tab
      • Choose the 2.4GHz band
        1. Disable Smart Connect (default)
        2. SSID Main Wi-Fi (only shared with trusted users)
          1. (New, never-before-used/seen by any of the clients on the network before)
          2. 8 alphanumeric characters, exactly, beginning with a letter.
        3. Change the Control Channel to 1, 6, or 11 (only).
          1. I suggest testing with 11, for the first 24 hours.
        4. Authentication Method = WPA2-Personal
          1. PW = alphanumeric only
        5. Protected Management Frames = Disable (default)
        6. Make sure you hit Apply before moving away from this page.
      • Choose the 5.0GHz band
        1. Disable Smart Connect (default)
        2. SSID Main Wi-Fi (only shared with trusted users)
          1. (New, never-before-used/seen by any of the clients on the network before)
          2. 8 alphanumeric characters, exactly, beginning with a letter.
        3. Uncheck “Enable 160 MHz”, change to 80 MHz
        4. Change the Control Channel away from 'Auto' to a manually chosen one.
          1. I suggest testing with channel 161, for the first 24 hours.
        5. Authentication Method = WPA2-Personal
          1. PW = alphanumeric only
        6. Protected Management Frames = Disable (default)
        7. Make sure you hit Apply before moving away from this page
    • WPS Tab
      • Disable WPS
    • Professional Tab
      • Choose the 2.4GHz band
        1. Preamble Type = Short
        2. Airtime Fairness = Disable (default)
        3. Multi-User MIMO = Disable (default)
        4. Explicit Beamforming = Enable (default)
        5. Universal Beamforming = Disable
        6. Make sure you hit Apply before moving away from this page.
      • Choose the 5.0GHz band
        1. Airtime Fairness = Disable (default)
        2. Multi-User MIMO = Enable (default)
        3. 802.11ax/ac Beamforming = Enable (default)
        4. Universal Beamforming = Disable
        5. Make sure you hit Apply before moving away from this page
Should I reflash Merlin?

So it looks like the assigned IP address may be the culprit. When I have a device connect to my main SSID and it's auto assigned an IP address outside of the DHCP range, it doesn't work (but if assigned an IP inside the range, it does work). It appears for devices connected to the Guest network, it doesn't matter if the IP is outside the DHCP range

Why is the Asus even assigning IP addresses outside of the DHCP range to begin with?

Figured it out, I had to turn off WiFi on the client device, then turn it back on and renew the DHCP lease (IPV4 address was still pointing to the old router)

Ah, but I do not copy and paste. I do fumble finger those recommended settings each time. And they do work!
OK,if he does use an AC68U as a node, Dual Band Smart Connect may n ot be a great idea. Using non DFS channels is a good idea especially with older clients.

I do fumble finger those recommended settings each time.

Your settings, not recommended settings. 5GHz 160MHz + DFS is in general a bad advice, if you don't know the clients and the environment. 2.4GHz 1-6-11 is an outdated advice, hurting performance. The routers are smarter now and no one is following 1-6-11 around anyway. WPA2/WPA3 is useless if there is no WPA3 capable devices. SmartConnect is disabled by default in firmware for a reason. It's not very smart and also hurts the performance. Any settings will work for you because of your 100/100 limited ISP line. @JPF777 has Gigabit ISP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!