What's new

Upgrade CAT5 cable?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

feelyat

Occasional Visitor
I have lived in my house for 20 years. When I first moved here, I went through the effort to run (then current) Cat5 cables in various strategic locations throughout the house. Since then, especially as we did renovations, added a home office, etc, more locations were put in place, but newer runs (still >10 years old) are using Cat5e rated cable. Even my patch panel is Cat5, not 5e. At this time, I have endpoints in all rooms, plus three ceiling-mounted wifi APs, all using POE over Gigabit Ethernet.

It occurs to me that those old Cat5 runs could be pushing data at rates beyond what they were designed for. I know that the differences between Cat5 and 5e are subtle, so maybe I should just not worry about it, but I wonder if I'm setting myself up for trouble, and if I would be better served to upgrade the wiring. How would I even identify marginal cabling? Most of the runs are relatively short (<50ft), if that makes a difference.

Would it ever make sense to upgrade my home network to Cat6A?

The original Cat5 cables were good enough for gigabit data over short/medium distances assuming they were of reasonable quality. Cable lengths of 100 metres (330 ft) would be pushing your luck though.

So normally I say not to worry about it. If you start to see errors on a particular cable run then replace it, otherwise leave it alone. Who knows, by the time you have "an actual problem" you might want replace it with fibre, or Cat9+++, or whatever.

That said, I think there's one thing to consider and that's your use of PoE. I'm not a PoE expert so have a look at this and this. Even though Cat5 can do PoE, if you're planning on sending a lot of power over long cable runs it might be worth investing in Cat6A just to cut down on the heat being generated.

My current use of POE is limited to relatively low power devices (802.3af, ~12W each), and none of my runs are more than 45 feet or so (15m).

I haven’t seen any Ethernet errors, ever, on the current network. Sounds like no action is the best action.

Last edited:
Cat 5e will handle 10gbps in a home network setup. It is only if you are seeing error rates going up or only able to do 100mbps, would I even consider running replacement cables.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!