What's new

Upgrade from RT-AC68u to RT-AX86u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gogreen1

Regular Contributor
In the next few months, I'm going to upgrade my router from my RT-AC68u to an RT-AX86u (when the vendors I'm watching have it in stock). I haven't found specific instructions for this task, so I'm wondering if this process will be simple or complicated. My plan is to:
  1. Save my old router settings to a .CFG file and then unplug the old router.
  2. Plug in the new router and connect it to my modem (Arris TM722G/CT--Comcast).
  3. Via the Asus login, update the new router's firmware.
  4. Restore the old router's settings from the .CFG file.
  5. Connect my iMac via cable to the router for a wired connection.
  6. Change the Asus login and password to those of the old router.
  7. Let my other 7 wireless clients search for and find the new connection and connect in the usual manner.
Would this plan work, or am I dreaming?

Note: I might use the old router in an AiMesh setup later, but initially, I'm just setting up the standalone new router.

Thanks.

In the next few months, I'm going to upgrade my router from my RT-AC68u to an RT-AX86u (when the vendors I'm watching have it in stock). I haven't found specific instructions for this task, so I'm wondering if this process will be simple or complicated. My plan is to:
  1. Save my old router settings to a .CFG file and then unplug the old router.
  2. Plug in the new router and connect it to my modem (Arris TM722G/CT--Comcast).
  3. Via the Asus login, update the new router's firmware.
  4. Restore the old router's settings from the .CFG file.
  5. Connect my iMac via cable to the router for a wired connection.
  6. Change the Asus login and password to those of the old router.
  7. Let my other 7 wireless clients search for and find the new connection and connect in the usual manner.
Would this plan work, or am I dreaming?

Note: I might use the old router in an AiMesh setup later, but initially, I'm just setting up the standalone new router.

Thanks.

1. Download the current AX86U firmware. Run WinMD5 to verify the firmware file MD5 checksum value.

2. Wire a PC to the AX86U and commission your new network (upload the firmware, reset it, and configure it minimally from scratch). You can not restore an AC68U firmware/router configuration to an AX86U firmware/router, so stop dreaming.

Reset FAQ
Reset Button/webUI Restore (my preference)
WPS Button Hard Reset

See my install notes if you need basic configuration clues (no AX bits yet). Includes link for testing your WAN security at grc.com.

3. Set aside your existing router and install your new router. Reboot your cable modem. Login and review your new router status. Give it time to settle in.

You can reuse your existing WiFi credentials. Assuming you will later recommission the AC68U as remote node, you should use different SSIDs per band. And use fixed, least congested, non-DFS channels. I suggest you not use 160 MHz bandwidth until your network supports WiFi 6e (many more channels for 160 MHz bandwidth use on the 6 GHz band)... or wait until after your new network is working well without it, so that you know the difference.

OE

Last edited:
WIFI recommendations for the AX router:
On initial setup use a WIFI SSID of up to eight letters and a passphrase of up to eight letters and numbers. No special characters. Use the AX settings.
Once into the GUI, use Dual Band SmartConnect, Authentication Method - WPA2/WPA3-Personal, 2.4 GHz - Channel bandwidth 20MHz, Control Channel - 1, 6 or 11, 5 GHz - Channel bandwidth 80MHz, Control Channel 36 or 149 (do not use DFS channels) To start I recommend you do not enable 160 MHz. In Professional disable Airtime Fairness and Universal Beamforming for both bands. Under Professional 2.4 GHz Roaming assistant set to -55.
If you are not going to use AiMesh I recommend disabling WPS but enable it when you do set up AiMesh.
I would also recommend checking the cable between the modem and router. Needs to be CAT 5 at a minimum with no kinks, folds or crushed areas. Some will say it needs to be CAT6 but that is not necessary. If you have made your own cable at a minimum do a continuity test to be sure the ends are crimped correctly.
These are settings that are working well for me on my AX86U with Asus factory firmware. I have also made up the CAT 5 cable which runs to my ONT which is outside.

Best of luck.

Last edited:
use Dual Band SmartConnect

I don't know why you recommend SmartConnect all the time. There is much more control over the devices connection with two separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. I see the SmartConnect rules page in Asuswrt and it's a PITA to adjust the rules right for different environments. We all have different Wi-Fi environments. I don't believe Asus defaults are the universal best solution, it may or may not work right. Separate SSIDs work always, guaranteed.

As a followup, setting up my new RT-AX86u was quite easy. I used my old network names and passwords with the new router, and that setup was easy with the Asus app (I did that on my iMac). Some of my router clients worked immediately with the new router. I just connected the others manually. I was worried about how this changeover would go, but it went surprisingly smoothly. :cool: I live in a single-story home. The RT-AX86u's signals are strong enough that I don't need to set up the old router as an Aimesh node.

What you can use your old AC68U router is Wireless Bridge, or Media Bridge as per Asuswrt. It turns the router into high-powered 3x3 AC client for wired devices. Consoles, PCs, TVs, etc. with up to 1300Mbps link to your main router. Media Bridge doesn't serve Wi-Fi for wireless clients.

How about if I'm upgrading from a RT-AC68U to a RT-AC-86U - can the AC-68U config file be used on the AC-86U router? I'm thinking not, but thought I'd check.

No. Completely different hardware routers running different firmware. Don't buy RT-AC86U in 2023. This is the oldest HND platform router released in 2017 with hardware and software issues history and in unofficial End-of-Support state. You may get 1-2 firmware updates on this model, if lucky.

Get RT-AX86S or RT-AX86U instead depending on your budget. Better more reliable hardware with expected few years support from now on.

Last edited:
Hey Tech9 - thanks for the reply. I'm aware the hardware is different, but thought I'd check anyway.

But let's be clear here. I presently run a pair of AC-68U's (yeah, 10 years old and haven't seen a firmware update in a long time) in mesh (they're even the original hardware version too) and they work perfectly fine for my network, supporting 21+ devices, 8 of which are 4k wireless security cameras into a Blue Iris NVR. Again, they work perfectly fine. I just want to add an additional node to help fill in a small wireless gap at the house. The AC-86U I'd like to add is a bargain price. I don't need AX/WiFi6 when my present AC network really doesn't have any AX devices on it other than a newer iPhone which hardly needs AX functionality. I may even delegate the AC-86U as the primary router. I don't need the latest fancy things that really serves me no real upgrade purpose for my specific network. Now if the AC-86U platform has some sort of deficiency as a primary or node in my iMesh, then that would be something I would like to know about. So with that in mind, I can't find any real reason not to go ahead with my plan.

You may not need AX, but Asus have decided no AC-class router will get 388 firmware. That means your old routers are facing End-of-Support including the bargain price AC86U. Also, never buy AC86U second hand. This is the most unreliable Asus router and many have hidden issues. It still has unresolved firmware bug with slim chances for fix. Many forum members lost one or more AC86U units due to hardware issues. Most often it just dies suddenly.

More reasons I would avoid AC86U are listed here. Of course, the decisions for your network are entirely yours. I'm just giving you a warning.

Thanks again. Can you be more specific about the hidden issues, hardware issues, and firmware bug you speak of? Not trying to be a PITA, just want to fully understand the potential for any real issues at hand. I never take network advice at face value.

See the link above. It fails in different ways and I have studied the reasons for a long time along with repair options. In your case I would prefer another AC68U even off eBay for $50. This is extremely reliable model and your AiMesh will be better with all the same routers running the same firmware. If you have wires to what is now nodes you have many more future upgrade options and better than AiMesh.

just want to fully understand the potential for any real issues at hand

Two main issues:
- Low reliability record. It may work well for years, it may fail your entire network.
- Slim chances of future firmware support. What is broken most likely will stay broken.

Once again, thank you Tech9 for this thought provoking dialog. I believe there is some merit regarding staying with the same model and hardware version in order to keep all nodes as happy as possible in a mesh configuration. Both of my present AC-68U's are hardware version A1. I know there are vast differences in hardware between all the different models and hardware versions of the AC-RT68U's. Do you think it's in my best interest to purchase another A1 in order to keep any potential problems at bay?

Do you think it's in my best interest to purchase another A1 in order to keep any potential problems at bay?

AC68U A1 is the very first hardware revision with unshielded USB ports. Any other AC68U variant except short lived V4 is basically the same hardware ARMv7 CPU with BCM4360 radios and runs the same firmware as your A1. If you want a bit more CPU power find one RT-AC1900P if available around. It's the same router with 1.4GHz CPU. Make it main router with your A1 as nodes. This is the cheapest "upgrade" to what you already have.

Thank you for this detail, Tech9. I think I'll hold out and search for the 1900P - I think I've got a couple real possibilities available in my area. Your information is very appreciated.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!