What's new

upgrade from RT-AX86U to GT-AX6000?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djjsin

Regular Contributor
Amazon has a good sale going on with the GT-AX6000. I'm currently running 2 RT-AX86U routers one setup as an AIMESH node connected via the 2.5Gb port as the ethernet backhaul.

I'm wondering if there's really much benefit to me upgrading to a GT-AX6000. One of the big attractive things is the dual multigig ports. Having 2 would be nice to be able to connect my AIMESH node via the multigig port, and using the other for my internet. i'm currently on Frontier 1Gb Fiber with is connected via the 1Gb WAN port, but i have the option to upgrade to 2Gb...not sure i really need that at this point in time though. Right now i can't really upgrade to 2Gb because I only have 1 multigig port on my router i use for the aimesh backhaul.

In terms of gaming. I have 3 xboxes. I do NOT pc game. would any of the ROG features even add any benefit to me what so ever over the game accelerator thats in the RT-ax86u? so really my question is, is 4 antennas, a extra multigig port, slightly faster processor and the ROG gaming features worth an upgrade from an RT-AX86U ? The multigig would really only be used IF i decide to upgrade my internet, but i'm even on the fence about that. I dont even come close to maxing out my 1Gb port.

or should i just keep what I have for another year or 2 and wait for wifi 7. Part of me wants something new, but at the same time am i really going to see any real world benefit from it outside the 2 multigig ports?

Last edited:
I actually had the AX86U and upgraded to the GT- AX6000. The AX86U is now at my GFs house where I got rid of the Verizon supplied router that they were charging her monthly for.

I really noticed very little difference between them in terms of range which I judge by the 5Ghz in the far bedroom... The 6000 seemed a tad better so I kept that. Both gave better range than my R7800 in the far bedroom where my devices struggled with the 5Ghz. Overall in my small setup I could have probably kept the AX86U ...but I get its benefit at other house now....win win for me... "honey I need a router..np...I will buy a new one and give you mine".

I'm wondering if there's really much benefit to me upgrading to a GT-AX6000.

Routers upgrade + ISP plan upgrade is going to benefit Asus and your ISP. You'll see minimum to zero improvement in your Internet user experience. When you use one 2.5GbE port for WAN and the other 2.5GbE port for Ethernet backhaul you still end up with Gigabit ports available for your wired clients. None can use >Gigabit speeds. Only aggregate to few clients, eventually and in some rare cases. If you want faster 2.5GbE LAN you don't need to upgrade your router. Just get a 2.5GbE switch and the needed 2.5GbE client cards. The fact your ISP is giving you some discount for higher speed doesn't mean you have to jump in and cash $500-600 in chasing this speed for no reason. If you decide to do so make sure you have a good explanation why.

I would never replace this compact unit:

1681502668136.png

...with this ugly facehugger with RGB thing:

1681502701013.png

Last edited:
Routers upgrade + ISP plan upgrade is going to benefit Asus and your ISP. You'll see minimum to zero improvement in your Internet user experience. When you use one 2.5GbE port for WAN and the other 2.5GbE port for Ethernet backhaul you still end up with Gigabit ports available for your wired clients. None can use >Gigabit speeds. Only aggregate to few clients, eventually and in some rare cases. If you want faster 2.5GbE LAN you don't need to upgrade your router. Just get a 2.5GbE switch and the needed 2.5GbE client cards. The fact your ISP is giving you some discount for higher speed doesn't mean you have to jump in and cash $500-600 in chasing this speed for no reason. If you decide to do so make sure you have a good explanation why.

I would never replace this compact unit:

View attachment 49321

...with this ugly facehugger with RGB thing:

View attachment 49322
ya i understand 2Gb is pretty unnecessary, especially given most ports and devices are limited to 1Gb (though there are times it could be beneficial when mulitple devices are downloading at once), which is why i am the fence about it. Just using that as an example of how my current router would not be sufficient if I did decide to go that route, given its lack of multiple multigig ports.
i guess my question is more about things like improvement on wifi range/speed, the increase in cpu speed, and if I would see any benefit what so ever from the ROG features the RT-AX6000 has that the RT-AX86U does not, given that I only game on the xbox.

Just using that as an example of how my current router would not be sufficient

No home router has 2.5GbE capable hardware. All rely on NAT acceleration hacks. The difference between AX86U and AX6000 is minimal. You'll be buying extra 2.5GbE port for $250. In case you go for unnecessary 2Gbps plan - use the 2.5GbE port for WAN and Gigabit port for wired backhaul. Your wireless devices perhaps never exceed Gigabit and the LAN ports on the node are Gigabit as well. You'll get the same up to 2Gbps aggregate traffic without changing anything - up to 2x Gigabit wired or Gigabit wired + some extra up to Gigabit total wireless. Not enough? Isn't it what you want?

No home router has 2.5GbE capable hardware. All rely on NAT acceleration hacks. The difference between AX86U and AX6000 is minimal. You'll be buying extra 2.5GbE port for $250. In case you go for unnecessary 2Gbps plan - use the 2.5GbE port for WAN and Gigabit port for wired backhaul. Your wireless devices perhaps never exceed Gigabit and the LAN ports on the node are Gigabit as well. You'll get the same up to 2Gbps aggregate traffic without changing anything - up to 2x Gigabit wired with Gigabit wired + some extra up to Gigabit total wireless. Not enough?
Ya in not a big fan of the 1Gb backhaul idea. Not with the amount of stuff connected directly the the node that's connected via the backhaul. IF I were to do it which at this point I'm probably not...I definitely want the aimesh node to be able to take advantage of the full 2Gb internet connection. My Xbox. My playstation. All connect via that aimesh node, so if done I'd want each to be able to be on at the same time downloading and maxing out their 1Gb port if need be (yes I realize this use case scenario is very rare in real life)

How often is this stuff saturating Gigabit connection? Why not investing in 10Gbps equipment straight?
Only when the Xbox or playstation is downloading a game lol. I want them both to be able to do it at the same time!

The more you want the more you pay. Downloading games a bit faster will cost you. If that's very important for you - go ahead.

It's really not. Which is why I haven't done it. I mainly wanted to know if Id see any real benefit besides the extra 2 multigig ports.

I mainly wanted to know if Id see any real benefit

For now - faster downloads and speedtest only. You can post some screenshots here for personal satisfaction. User experience - no noticeable difference. In the future - firmware with Pro features on AX6000 if you need any of the Pro features. You'll need more space for AX6000 and accept the way it looks.

As previously stated in this thread, the 6000 is reduced in cost Amazon (US) $235, as of posting.
I own, and recommend the 6000 with RMerlin fw!

Received AX6000 yesterday, used it for one whole day. Was with a AC68U, 5Ghz speed was 300Mb next to router and 100Mb at 2nd floor bedroom corner. Now it is 500Mb/300Mb and 5Ghz is almost full bar everywhere. My house is almost 4900 sqft with 2 stories, but floorplan is wifi friendly that I don't need mesh.

In real world I don't see benefit unless I download windows 11 ISO image, or updage apps/iOS with ipad or iPhone. It just makes me happy when I run speed test. My xfinity is 800Mb (930Mb real) and SB8200 modem can handle 1000Mb.

Be frankly, when do you need multi-gig internet if monthly cap is 1.2TB and 200Mb is good enough for multi device Netflix streaming?

If you decide you want to get a GT-AX6000, consider buying a "used" one. I've bought two, and both were essentially brand new never used.

AX6000 warranty is 18 months? I purchased on 4/13, just registered and it says warranty expires 10/9/2024

To clarify, my rec for the 6000 v AX86 is based on
- newer/faster cpu
- The current price of the 6000 seems negligible, if buying now and only comparing the two routers.
Also, the poster mentioned using the two 86s as attached mesh units with a 6000 as Main. Although I do not use mesh, I would think that the 6000 Main with two AX86 mesh units would be a quality home system.
FYI, I use an AP.

Last edited:
Also, the poster mentioned using the two 86s as attached mesh units with a 6000 as Main.

The poster has 2x AX86U units in AiMesh and thinking about replacing one with AX6000, not adding extra AX6000 as main. Third router is perhaps not needed and for 2x 2.5GbE wires to the nodes additional 2.5GbE switch will be needed. In this case we are talking about >$300 more in theoretical improvements. The whole >$700 project doesn't make sense with home routers. Honda Civic R with loud exhaust and stickers type of networking.

Part of me wants something new, but at the same time am i really going to see any real world benefit from it outside the 2 multigig ports?
If you want something new, for less than the cost of the discounted gt-ax6000 you can get a barebones x86 firewall appliance from Amazon with 4 x 2.5gb ports that have independent (not switched) intel NICs for superior throughput vs any consumer grade router. Add in 8gb ram and 64gb mSATA and install Opnsense all for about $230. You'll get all the pro features now months before ASUS releases them plus a stateful firewall that is surprisingly easy to configure via gui. Then you can hang the 2 86Us off that and a 5 x 2.5gb unmanaged switch off the 3rd port for an extra $100 and have all your friends over for a Metaverse party - but that's only if you upgrade to the 2gbit plan.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!