What's new

Upgrade from very old Linkstation

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

nheather

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I currently have an old Buffalo Linkstation - think it is a version 1 LS-CHL and it is just 500GB.

Looking to replace it because

1) It is pretty much full
2) It has had a few wobbles where it has failed to start up

It is only used as a centralised file store - documents, photos. I don't have huge libraries of ripped music and videos.

I would like to get into a better regime for backups, having recently lost a hard disk on my PC.

So wondering whether to get a newer bigger version of the same/similar or am I best looking at something different.

Speed isn't a major issue, I know it is slow but I've only really noticed it when copying the odd big file now and then, mostly I don't notice.

Appreciate any advice.

Cheers,

Nigel

Buffalo just updated their small office/home office NAS units... there was an announcement on the forum landing page...

rsync is the usual method behind the migration wizards - picking the source and destination - and this is somewhat vendor specific (in how the wizards are explained/implemented), but it is cross vendor friendly.

Make sure that the current NAS is part of your backup plan in any event - esp. given your comment about it having some start up issues.

Buffalo just updated their small office/home office NAS units... there was an announcement on the forum landing page...

rsync is the usual method behind the migration wizards - picking the source and destination - and this is somewhat vendor specific (in how the wizards are explained/implemented), but it is cross vendor friendly.

Make sure that the current NAS is part of your backup plan in any event - esp. given your comment about it having some start up issues.

Thanks for the info. The plan is to transfer data from the old NAS to new NAS and then trash the old one - I don't consider it reliable enough for further use.

Any recommendations - am I best sticking with something like a Buffalo Linkstation or WD MyCloud or go with something like a Synology or Qnap.

I don't see the need for multi-disk nor RAID but if the entry level Synology and Qnap devices offer advantages I might be prepared to up my budget.

Cheers,

Nigel

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!