What's new

Upgrade Path for RT-N66U on Very Old Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

FreddyP

Occasional Visitor
Hi All,

I’m getting ready to update our RT-N66U backup router to the latest ASUS version 3.0.0.4.380.3831. The router is currently running version 3.0.0.4.374.4561. Yes, a very, very old firmware version.

Do I need to go through one .3XX version of each revision? What I mean is something like 3.0.0.4.376.XXXX then 3.0.0.4.378.XXXX and finally to 3.0.0.4.380.3831 with a factory reset after each version. Of course I will not load any type of firmware backup file settings because of changes between versions.

Thought I read somewhere (probably in this forum) that along the line ASUS did a memory size update or upgraded the bootloader and partition (or something like that) which makes it a bad idea to go from a very old version to the latest. Is this true, or can I go directly to the latest version with little risk of bricking the router?

Our N66U is a backup router and does not have WAN access to do the firmware download via the Admin page. We have already downloaded one of each .3XX version and plan to do the updates offline. Would it be better to connect the router back to the WAN and do multiple downloads and updates via the Admin page (thinking this might keep everything in sequence)?

Sorry for all the questions. As you can tell, I’m no router expert. Have flashed a few routers but they were done in sequence each time an update came out with no major version jumps. Recommendations?