What's new

Upgrade Poll GT-AXE11000 to GT-AXE16000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

GT-AXE11000 or GT-AXE16000

• GT-AXE11000

• GT-AXE16000

Results are only viewable after voting.

cc666

Very Senior Member
1 GB ISP
55 devices connected with static IP's
4K streaming 2-3 TVs at same time - Main TV's hard wired
4 Cameras
multiple Apple devices - 5 homepods - 2 ipads - 2 macbooks
No NAS
No 6E devices yet

I currently have the GT-AXE11000 and looking to upgrade to the GT-AXE16000.
I have until Sunday evening to decide. Please advise and vote.

CC

if your current AXE11000 works fine for all your devices then maybe it's not worth upgrading? since you are not using NAS or you probably don't need the 2x 10 Gbe ports on the axe16000.

if you want to extend the range then I think adding 2x XT12 would help more than 1x AXE1600? since they are around the same price.

I did ordered the AXE16000 to replace my AX11000 coz my GT AX11000 is few years old. but your axe11000 is still a fairly new router.

Asus just released a new wifi 7 router if you after the highest specs I should be available sometimes this year?

1 GB ISP
55 devices connected with static IP's
4K streaming 2-3 TVs at same time - Main TV's hard wired
4 Cameras
multiple Apple devices - 5 homepods - 2 ipads - 2 macbooks
No NAS
No 6E devices yet

I currently have the GT-AXE11000 and looking to upgrade to the GT-AXE16000.
I have until Sunday evening to decide. Please advise and vote.

CC
I wouldn't buy any of those routers at the moment, use what you have for another 6 months new routers are coming out. You even said you don't have 6E devices at the moment so what's the rush if your router is working well?
IMO the routers you listed are way too overpriced for what they offer.

Last edited:
Previously owned AX11000 + 3x 8XTs. For 1Gbps internet > not benefit at all. 6e signal is very short range so next to useless as a wifi signal in my opinion. For Internet speeds above 1Gbps, then AXE16k with 2x 10Gbps + 2.Gbps are strong points. WiFi wise, your no losing anything. Current setup is AXE16k + 3x XT12s. XT12s made huge difference to wireless aimesh setup and have far stronger signal than XT8s. If your doing aimesh, then XT8s and XT12s for wired backhaul then ET12s over XT. For main router, comes down to Internet link speed. Basing this on actually owning and using these devices everyday.

Both Wi-Fi 6/6E are 802.11ax. 6E is not about range, but available bandwidth.

Not really. What we call 5GHz band is 5150-5815 or less. What we call 6GHz band is 5945-7125 or less. Region specific.
I think what @Bhoot® means is that the range of the 6GHz is very limited if you want to get the max speed like you have to be in the same vicinity of the router to get those insane Wireless speeds but the might as well connect via LAN as I see no other benefit to such high speeds other than a computer. I was so excited to try out 6GHz when it first came out but was really disappointed by the range in order to achieve those insane speeds.

The fact that the GT-AXE16000 has tri band (2 - 5 GH channels) is what I like. Forget the 6e or even the 7 thats coming. Thats years down the road.

I would like to have an 5G band restricted to AX only and the other 5G band open to all connections.

Cc

Last edited:
The fact that it has tri band (2 - 5 GH channels) is what I like. Forget the 6e or even the 7 thats coming. Thats years down the road.

I would like to have an 5G band restricted to AX only and the other 5G band open to all connections. Does Asus have a tri band AX router that can do this with no 6e?

Cc
asus RT AX92u. But since you already using a good main router might be better to go with xt12.

RT AX92u
2.4GHz 2x2
5GHz-1 2x2
5GHz-2 4x4

XT12
2.4GHz 4x4
5GHz-1 4x4
5GHz-2 4x4

RT AX92u would still be enough if you just want to extend the range and use mobile devices, xt12 is better but it's 3x more expansive.

Any thoughts on the GT-AX11000 PRO vs the GT-AXE1600?

CC

Any thoughts on the GT-AX11000 PRO vs the GT-AXE1600?

CC
You can compare the specs to see which one better matches your specific needs. GT-AXE16000 adds another 10 Gbps port, adds a 6 GHz band, etc...

I think what @Bhoot® means is that the range of the 6GHz is very limited if you want to get the max speed like you have to be in the same vicinity of the router to get those insane Wireless speeds but the might as well connect via LAN as I see no other benefit to such high speeds other than a computer. I was so excited to try out 6GHz when it first came out but was really disappointed by the range in order to achieve those insane speeds.

6Ghz works pretty decent as a wireless backhaul via 4x4 MIMO, but client use (2x2 intel) is definitely underwhelming.

WIFI7 client mutlistream MIMO "fixes" this issue (Intel DCT?), granted adoption rate needs to be there.. We lack regular WIFI6 clients as it is.

I went ahead with the purchase, set it up and running perfectly. Selling my GT-AXE 11000 for 250 in original box. I paid 549 less than a year ago. Needed the 10 gb connection.

If interested email me at chascent at gmail dot com.

CC

The fact that the GT-AXE16000 has tri band (2 - 5 GH channels) is what I like. Forget the 6e or even the 7 thats coming. Thats years down the road.

I would like to have an 5G band restricted to AX only and the other 5G band open to all connections.

Cc
I have the exact setup and it works great! I have few devices supporting AX only (5Ghz-2) and rest connected to 5Ghz 1. I enable 6Ghz when required.

I just made the decision to upgrade from the AXE11000 to the AXE16000 today, and should have the unit tomorrow. Worst case scenario I have my 11000 as a hot spare, as I work from home all the time. In the end, I probably should have skipped the AXE11000 when I upgraded from my 5300, as I didn't pay attention to the fact that the AXE11000 only had one 5Ghz band vs. the two I had with the 5300. Not sure what I was thinking, or if I was thinking, given all the 5Ghz gear in the house. Live and learn. I have been seeing some slow down on 5Ghz when the whole house is rocking.

Live and learn.

Yes. I would get GT-AX11000 Pro instead. Cheaper, with 2x usable 5GHz bands, newest hardware available.

With Wi-Fi 7 routers coming good luck with your future 6E clients. You've paid again for something you may never need.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!