What's new

Upgrade Process for Old Version

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

djtech2k

Regular Contributor
I have the RT-AC68U running Merlin version 376.47. I am experiencing some slower speeds than I expect so I guess I need to upgrade to see if it improves. I have read a lot and asked some questions in the past, but I need to nail down the process to upgrade to the newest version. I have been using this for years and have done config stuff over the years that I don't even remember so I really do not want to have to manually reconfigure everything because I do not remember. For example, I have the usb drive attached for jffs but do not remember if I am using entware or optware. I assume using that backup/restore tool is part of this but again, I do not know.

Anyway, any help is greatly appreciated.

I have the RT-AC68U running Merlin version 376.47. I am experiencing some slower speeds than I expect so I guess I need to upgrade to see if it improves. I have read a lot and asked some questions in the past, but I need to nail down the process to upgrade to the newest version. I have been using this for years and have done config stuff over the years that I don't even remember so I really do not want to have to manually reconfigure everything because I do not remember. For example, I have the usb drive attached for jffs but do not remember if I am using entware or optware. I assume using that backup/restore tool is part of this but again, I do not know.

I think you have to flash with 376.55 and then reset to defaults and upgrade to the newest version 384.8_2

I think you have to flash with 376.55 and then reset to defaults and upgrade to the newest version 384.8_2
If you have settings you need later you will have to use screen shots of important settings. You cannot import from saved file in your case.

I really like @Xentrk’s guide on this.

https://x3mtek.com/asuswrt-merlin-firmware-upgrade/

Hopefully, it is useful to you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please disregard above and flash with 378.55 then reset to defaults.

Does the backup/restore tool restore it to where you had it or is there still manual stuff? Thats one thing I am not clear about.

So upgrade from my current version to 378.55 and then reset? Then do I upgrade to he newest, which is 384.8?

When do I use the backup/restore tool? Are there any other steps?

Does the backup/restore tool restore it to where you had it or is there still manual stuff? Thats one thing I am not clear about.

So upgrade from my current version to 378.55 and then reset? Then do I upgrade to he newest, which is 384.8?

When do I use the backup/restore tool? Are there any other steps?
In your case the backup tool will mess up your router. Your old backup is not compatible with anything after 378.55.

Pardon me your back up isn't even compatible with 378.55. The bootloader changed and memory size changes.

Ok then how can I get this done? I need a way to put my settings in. For example, I know I have some custom scripts and such that are on the jffs drive. I do have backups but I thought the usb drive wouldn’t be touched.

I know I am using the ipsets mod but don’t remember anything about how it was done. Same to be said for the entware or optware stuff. I have a bunch of dhcp reservations with Mac addresses.

These are just some of the things I can think of. There has to be a way to do this without having to manually figure out all this stuff and try to repro it.

I sympathise with your predicament; the “forget” bit in “set up and forget” works a bit too well with such reliable hardware and firmware.

If your wallet will stretch to it, getting a second-hand unit off, say, ebay, is a great help. You can log into the main one on one device and setup the other one on another device page by page (both devices side by side - saves the screenshots thing). More to the point, you don’t touch the original unit until the new one works flawlessly. You then have a reserve that can quickly get you connected again should you need it.

I got a second one about a year ago and, in that time, I had one major problem. My spare router paid for itself then by giving gaving me breathing space to find the cause of the problem.

He has an isp provisioned wifi router he could use to keep internet in his house while he upgrades and tests the ASUS at his own speed. The problem is he’s intimidated by the difficulty and time involved doing it. He’s also concerned about damaging the router (unlikely).

There are no shortcuts for him in this case. It’s been too long. You won’t be able to carry across any of your settings or USB files. It will all need to be done manually from scratch. You’ll want to login to webUI and take screenshots of your current settings then login via ssh to take note of any JFFS customisation you made all those years ago. It’s possible none of it matters and you’d just use what we recommend. What features are you currently using your router for? File sharing on the LAN I know. What about adblocking? Any special tweaks you made?

Once you finish fixing the ASUS i would consider NOT bridging the ISP modem, instead just leaving it in standard router mode with its wifi turned off, and with the ASUS wifi router connected behind it in double NAT. Then the isp modem is ready to use as backup at a moments notice if the ASUS breaks again. You’ll never risk not having internet. True double NAT isn’t the way networks are meant to be configured, but it still works. No need to outlay money on another router.

Last edited:
He has an isp provisioned wifi router he could use to keep internet in his house while he upgrades and tests the ASUS at his own speed. The problem is he’s intimidated by the difficulty and time involved doing it. He’s also concerned about damaging the router (unlikely).

There are no shortcuts for him in this case. It’s been too long. You won’t be able to carry across any of your settings or USB files. It will all need to be done manually from scratch. You’ll want to login to webUI and take screenshots of your current settings then login via ssh to take note of any JFFS customisation you made all those years ago. It’s possible none of it matters and you’d just use what we recommend. What features are you currently using your router for? File sharing on the LAN I know. What about adblocking? Any special tweaks you made?

Once you finish fixing the ASUS i would consider NOT bridging the ISP modem, instead just leaving it in standard router mode with its wifi turned off, and with the ASUS wifi router connected behind it in double NAT. Then the isp modem is ready to use as backup at a moments notice if the ASUS breaks again. You’ll never risk not having internet. True double NAT isn’t the way networks are meant to be configured, but it still works. No need to outlay money on another router.

You’re dead right: I find that the longer you delay updating, the more daunting it becomes.

The hardest thing is biting the bullet! Once that hurdle’s overcome, setting up the router helps refamiliarise oneself with each page and all the new settings.

Not difficult, just a bit daunting. And frustrating if some half-wit is shouting “when’s the Internet back online?”.

This really stinks...

I do not even remember all of the tings I have installed or configured at this point. I know I was considering adblock, but don't remember if I did it or not. I know I put in ipsets. I know I have custom DNS routing going on via some post-scripts. That's about all I remember.

I can browse the jffs usb and see the scripts and such that I mention. I back that up occasionally, so couldn't I just leave those files o the usb and would they just work?

How can I figure out exactly what is installed so I know what to redo?

I understand taking the screenshots of the admin UI, but the part I am concerned about is all the "other" stuff that really doesn't show up in that UI.

Also, I have heard about having to do multiple upgrades to different levels. I do not know which ones I need to do.

Scripts in /jffs rarely ever use anything in nvram. Just do a complete backup of the /jffs content, reset and reconfigure, then copy back the /jffs content. Everything you had installed there should run as it did before. Just remember to re-enable support for user scripts/custom configs.

Check out the link provided by Marin, it's very good. Also if you have any usb devices connected to the router they should be safely removed before flashing new firmware.

Do you have the ability to ssh into your router and basic CLI skills? We need a list of the files inside your /jffs/scripts and /jffs/configs directory. Also just need to clarify how are we browsing the USB? And need to confirm we aren’t confusing the router’s JFFS internal memory storage with whatever USB flash drive you have plugged in. They’re seperate and serve different purpose. JFFS is tiny internal router memory and has limited write operations before wearing out. The actual scripts themselves are typically saved in the jffs memory because they’re small and don’t get updated often. Now we don’t want the scripts writing lots of data to JFFS, which is where a USB drive becomes useful. The USB flash drive has large capacity and has no write operation limits and won’t wear out, so we plug it in and let the scripts utilise it for storing whatever data they generate or access (like log files, blocklists, etc).

Whatever you do, I’d advise doing a clean upgrade. If you can’t remember what customisations you made or how/why you made them it’s possible they aren’t going to be necessary. You may do yourself a disservice by copying over out-dated, redundant or unnecessary settings and scripts to a newly upgraded router firmware and causing hangs and conflicts.

Definitely keep a backup of the JFFS and USB contents on your pc to refer to if you come to the end and find somethings not working. That’ll help you identify and resolve the issue quickly.

if I remember correctly @RMerlin and others have said its not good to flash from an ancient firmware straight to the latest. But I’m not sure what the shortest upgrade path would be. @RMerlin could answer

Thanks all.

So what version(s) do I need to plan to upgrade to?

I am pretty sure that I have optware installed. I browsed the jffs directory, which points to my usb thumbdrive, and it has a few scripts, files, and configs. I have some extra files that I do remember belong to the ipsets config.

So I need help to build my list of tasks. I know I will backup everything and I know I will have to flash to newer version(s) and then do factory rest afterwards. I need to know what versions and are there any other steps? It sounds like I should get AMTM, but when and what do I use it for?

1) Backup
2) Install Firmware XX?
3) Factory Reset
4) Install Firmware YY?
4) Factory Reset
5) Install AMTM?
6) Plugin USB with already working jffs directory/files?

How does that look?

Step 2, XX is 378.55, as Skeal said above
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/upgrade-process-for-old-version.54331/#post-457420

Step 4. YY will be 384,8_2

I’d hold off Step 5 until you have everything running and working. I’m guessing your thinking is to install Entware via AMTM.

And between Step 4 and Step 5 would manually insert your settings, inserting a basic set first, stopping and proving all works, amd then inserting the more exotic ones. Bet your boots that if you try to do it all at once there will be snags that will be impractical to troublshoot and the only way out will be a reset and start all over again. Be patient and keep testing as you add complexity, and backing up at each stage and you will save time in the long run I’m sure.

Let us know how it goes.

Last edited: