What's new

Upgrade TS-809 Pro

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

fapel

New Around Here
So, I swapped out the CPU for a quad core and upgraded the heat sink with a fan. Then upgraded to 4GB memory.

A few issues. The system only recognizes 3 of the 4 GB of memory. Any ideas why? I'm guessing it's a bios thing. If so, has anyone tried updating the bios?

Second, is there anyway to load 4.3.x (64 bit) software on a TS-809? Basically hack the load process so it thinks it's a different system that supports 64 bit OS?

Thanks!

If I recall - the TS-809 uses the Intel 945GC MCH (aka North Bridge), and that chipset has a max addressable space of 4GB, with approx 800MB reserved for IO - there's no remapping on that chip.

So whether you're 32 or 64 bit on QTS, it won't matter... in any event, QTS is optimized and engineered for the chips in use, so really no need to change - QTS 4.2 (which is still being updated) is end-of-line, so no 4.3, but looks like QNAP is committed to supporting the 809 series thru 2020.

Core2Duo's actually perform a bit better in 32-bit mode due to microOP fusion, which isn't present in long mode on the C2D's...