What's new

Upgrade using CLI (putty or similar) instead of GUI

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

QuikSilver

Very Senior Member
Anyone here upgrade the firmware without using the webpage GUI? If so can you provide the command lines used? Thanks!

Using the command line is not a supported method of updating the firmware. It is discouraged because the actual commands vary between different router models and bypass the usual checks leading to the possibility of bricking the router (for example, if the partition layout changes). In other words, it can be done but should only be used when there is no alternative.

Using the command line is not a supported method of updating the firmware. It is discouraged because the actual commands vary between different router models and bypass the usual checks leading to the possibility of bricking the router (for example, if the partition layout changes). In other words, it can be done but should only be used when there is no alternative.
I don't prefer it either but I have a remote unit that is accessible using putty but not the gui. Using the service restart httpd command does nothing as well as service reboot.

Last edited:
Using the service restart httpd command does nothing as well as service reboot.
If you've got problems with the stability of the router flashing a different firmware version is unlikely to fix the problem and risks making things worse. If you've got SSH access then you can look at the syslog for errors and edit the nvram variables if necessary.

What router model are you talking about? Are you connecting via it's VPN server?

I don't prefer it either but I have a remote unit that is accessible using putty but not the gui. Using the service restart httpd command does nothing as well as service reboot.
Remote flashing is actually the worst case scenario for wanting to use command line flashing. If this is a model that doesn't use a dual partition system, then flashing over SSH means you are writing to a live filesystem, which is very likely to crash and fail to reboot, requiring manual power cycling. When updating through the webui, the router creates a temporary root filesystem first before flashing, to avoid that issue.

At worst, create an SSH tunnel to the router's webui. Connect over SSH, then use the tunnel to access the webui.

Remote flashing is actually the worst case scenario for wanting to use command line flashing. If this is a model that doesn't use a dual partition system, then flashing over SSH means you are writing to a live filesystem, which is very likely to crash and fail to reboot, requiring manual power cycling. When updating through the webui, the router creates a temporary root filesystem first before flashing, to avoid that issue.

At worst, create an SSH tunnel to the router's webui. Connect over SSH, then use the tunnel to access the webui.
Ah, thanks for the detailed explanation and insight @RMerlin. Any way to reboot (other than service reboot) a router remotely? Normally I would use scmerlin to issue commands over putty but this unit would stop loading 1/2 the commands when that option is selected.

@ColinTaylor The unit in question is an AC86u unit. Every so often the unit's webpage gui never loads (sometimes restarting http or doing a service reboot, would bring it up, but this time it did nothing). I usually access this unit by opening a VPN tunnel to turn on RDP to a local desktop, then from there upgrade the firmware using the web gui then removing the port forward for RDP. This unit isn't a mission critical unit so if it goes down and stays down over an extended period of time its not a big deal.

To reboot the router service reboot is the best method. If that doesn't work then try just reboot.

But the first port of call is always to examine the router's syslog (/tmp/syslog.log and /tmp/syslog.log-1).