What's new

Upgrading Asus RT-AX82U Firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

smartbits

Occasional Visitor
I'm currently running the 3.0.0.4.386_45934 firmware, which was released in November 2021. It's quite old but my router has been stable so I've been reluctant to upgrade the firmware because I don't want to risk bricking the router.

I was taking a look at the current firmware - https://www.asus.com/networking-iot...s/rt-ax82u/helpdesk_bios/?model2Name=RT-AX82U - and noticed that the most recent version states the following:

If you want to upload the firmware file manually, please check your RT-AX82U firmware version is greater or equal to 3.0.0.4.386.50289. If not, please manual upgrade your RT-AX82U to 3.0.0.4.386.50289 first.

Instead of manual upgrade the firmware, we suggest you to upgrade the firmware through live update function by clicking the check firmware version in the ASUS router app--> Settings --> firmware upgrade.
Or click the check button in web GUI --> Administration --> Firmware upgrade.

Is it generally fine to upgrade the router firmware from the router admin page even when the current firmware is over 1 year old and there have been several updates in between?

Hi, using stock, I've always just used the web ui to update. Flashing is not a problem even if flashing and get a power cut, they can be restored.
So you should not have any problems.
Just follow as they say, and make sure to write down your setting, as after flashing I would load factory defaults, and redo all the settings.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!