What's new

Upgrading finally to an ac router but spoilt by certain tweaks and stability of john's fork

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

punchsuckr

As the title states I'm finally putting my n66u to rest and weighing ac routers but totally spoilt by the stability of john's fork running on it (it is currently up 256 days!) and some of it's very useful tweaks like an ntp server so wary of switching brands now.

Snbforums ranks the x4s as it's top performer and the n66u was based on a similar performance chart here which I have been quite happy with but it has sadly now become a bottleneck for my devices. Problem is the x4s is not an Asus with merlin support. I then came across the ac66u b1 which has quite many checkboxes checked but no wall mounting without macgyvering which isn't a deal breaker per say.

Having searched around here I have come across posts and reviews with x4s being chided for it's management ui and firmware support. I do not really care for the higher speeds offered by the x4s though (since those speeds are anyways not supported by my devices) so it's pretty much tipped to the ac66u b1.

How is the ac66u b1 irl in 2018? Does the wireless performance match up with the n66u (all things like wifi overheads etc. considered)?

Thanks!

Why not get an rt-ac66u, the original one, or the rt-n68u. You can run john's fork on either. Although you can't wall mount the rt-ac68u.

I suppose the original ac66u was mips as well and did not have the trendmicro engine for qos?
Also the ac680 has ports out the back and would be tougher than the ac66u to mount.

I suppose the original ac66u was mips as well and did not have the trendmicro engine for qos?
Also the ac680 has ports out the back and would be tougher than the ac66u to mount.

Correct. You only said you wanted an ac router. Not that it had to have an arm cpu. Lol, that's why I mentioned it.