What's new

Upgrading Firmware on ASUS RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BazzaG

New Around Here
I have a ASUS RT-AC68U that is currently running AM v380.57 ... yep I'm a bit behind!!!

I not using any user written scripts or the like. I do define fixed IP addresses to various devices and have a couple of firewall (NSF) rules, use OpenDNS as my DNS server but other than that everything else is "default" (I don't recall changing much).

Anyway, I'm wondering if I can upgrade directly to v380.60.0 from v380.57 or do I need to upgrade to some lower release(s) first. If so, what would be the sequence?

Given that I'm jumping so many releases, I presume that I would have to do a factory reset (or maybe even resetS).

From what I've read I should upgrade 1st, then do a factory reset, followed by adding my minor changes, DHCP rules, etc. Is that correct?

TIA
BazzaG...

You can update straight to the latest version which is actually 380.68. It wouldn't be a bad idea to reset and re-configure after updating.

You may need to clear your browser's cache for the web GUI to appear correctly after updating.

You can also save the USER settings to restore them after a Factory Reset (resets the USER and SYSTEM settings) to a USB device with John's great User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility.

A factory reset is always a good idea to reset the hidden SYSTEM settings - you never know what was optimized in the background in each firmware version.

I actually never got around to upgrading the firmware ... simply too busy doing other stuff. Which is why I was so far behind in the 1st place!!!!

Now its somewhat pointless as last Tuesday night Melbourne time (Australia ... not Florida) we experience several severe thunderstorms. The result was a power surge via the cable internet which fried the cable modem (replaced by my ISP) and the WAN port on the AC68U was also fried. Everything else seems to be working just fine, just no external internet.

Anyway, have now upgraded to a new ASUS RT-AC86U which I'm about to install as a replacement.