What's new

Upgrading from NetGear WNR3500L question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wootcat

Occasional Visitor
As stated in the title, I am upgrading from a NetGear WNR3500L to a NetGear R6400. I'm trying to think of the easiest way to set up the 6400 for my current network.

Is it possible to load a WNR3500L configuration file into the R6400 and have it work?

Thanks!

No. Set it up manually (and minimally) after you have flashed the latest firmware version available for it and after you have performed a full reset to factory defaults too.

No. Set it up manually (and minimally) after you have flashed the latest firmware version available for it and after you have performed a full reset to factory defaults too.
What's the best course of action for doing this while I keep my 6400 running to maintain the household network? Can I just plug it into the existing network and access it to set it up while it's on my home network?

just out of curiosity why did you end up choosing the r6400 over the r7000 ?
*shrug* I guess I considered the r7000 to be more than I needed? SNB and thewirecutter both gave the r6400 good marks and I wasn't sure what I'd be getting for the extra $50 that I really needed.

What's the best course of action for doing this while I keep my 6400 running to maintain the household network? Can I just plug it into the existing network and access it to set it up while it's on my home network?

Not possible while you're setting it to factory defaults and then setting it up.

Doesn't take that much time to do though. I'm sure you'll have a 10 to 20 minute window sometime during the next few days?

So I should just go through all the existing 3500 screens and write down all the settings (blocked sites/services, schedules, port forwards, address reservations, etc) by hand and re-enter them into the 6400?

So I should just go through all the existing 3500 screens and write down all the settings (blocked sites/services, schedules, port forwards, address reservations, etc) by hand and re-enter them into the 6400?

Yes. Make notes of what you're currently using now (btw, I initially thought that there were 3,500 screens to note down. :) ).

But I would only enable what you need on the 6400. Less is more and there may be options you have that may not be necessary anymore.

The idea being that you get a good feel for the router 'at defaults' and to verify that it is stable and viable in a basic sense. ;)