What's new

Upgrading from WRT1900AC. Suggestions to protect from lightning surges.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MonkeyB

Occasional Visitor
Hello everyone,

The router (WRT1900AC) in my parent's house recently stopped working because a nearby lightning strike ruined the WAN port. It worked flawlessly for the most part. Range in some places used to keep dropping. I believe its an AC Wave 1 router so it does not have as many bells and whistles as new MU-MIMO routers.

My requirements are as follows:

- Slightly better and stable range.
- Dual WAN.
- VPN Client/Server support.
- Upgrading to Mesh in the future.

After a lot of researching, I came down to these options:

- Asus RT AC88U. (I am a huge fan of Merlin fw)
- Asus RT AC5300. (They claim 5000sft but too many negative reviews) (Not interested in GT because there is no Merlin)
- Synology RT2600. (I have read many posts in SNB with people telling how it is better than Asus routers in terms of Range). I am able to get the Synology for less than $150 online so its the cheapest of the 3 as well.

Apart from this. What is the best way to protect my future gear (WAN port) from such lightning strikes?

Thanks a lot for your time folks.

Nothing will totally protect from lightening but you need to make sure you have an 8 foot copper ground rod in the ground off the main breaker box of the house. This is where I would start.

Nothing will totally protect from lightening but you need to make sure you have an 8 foot copper ground rod in the ground off the main breaker box of the house. This is where I would start.
I would also recommend that the wire from your service entrance be at least a 10 gauge copper wire and make sure it's securely clamped to the ground rod . Would also check this connection at least once a year and if necessary unclamp it and clean the ground rod and clamp with a wire brush. You can also apply some dielectric grease to the connection to prevent corrosion. You can find this at any auto supply store. Being an old ham radio operator I cannot over emphasize the need for a good ground connection. I'm also a big fan of uninterruptible power supplies. I like Cyber Power but any good unit will help. To quote coxhaus nothing will totally protect your from a lightning strike but there are steps you can take to minimize the possibility.

They also sell the heavy duty clamp and wire for the ground rod. I think you can buy them at HomeDepot. The bare wire is heavier than 10 gauge. The wire I used was around 1/4 inch in diameter solid copper.