What's new

Upgrading hardware question

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jontalk

I'm upgrading my RT-AC56U to an RT-AC68P. Since they're both Asus and use the same UI, will the settings from the AC56 be saved/imported when the AC68 UI is launched? Or do I need to mark them down since I want to use the same DNS and other settings. Would also like to know if there's a page with ideal settings for the AC68 in this forum. Thanks.

will the settings from the AC56 be saved/imported when the AC68 UI is launched?
No. The AC68 has no way of knowing how the AC56 is configured.

Or do I need to mark them down since I want to use the same DNS and other settings.
Yes. Do not try to load a settings file (Administration > Restore/Save/Upload Setting) from the AC56 into the AC68, the file is not transferable.

Would also like to know if there's a page with ideal settings for the AC68 in this forum.
The default settings are usually the best (apart from password and SSID's). Any other changes would be down the user's particular situation.

Would also like to know if there's a page with ideal settings for the AC68 in this forum. Thanks.

Quoting @RMerlin

But generally speaking, what I recommend is:

- Disable MU-MIMO (not applicable to your AC68U)
- Disable Nitro/Turbo-QAM
- 5 GHz: disable universal beamforming
- 2.4 GHz: disable both beamforming
- Set a static channel on both bands

In addition to those settings many have had issues with airtime fairness so I would recommend disabling it also.