What's new

Upgrading my RT-AX86u for stronger signal

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

gogreen1

Regular Contributor
I have an Asus RT-AX86u router. I've been thinking about upgrading it. By "upgrading," I mean replacing it with an Asus router that provides a stronger signal on both bands. I have a solar panel system with the wifi connection in my garage. The router's 2.4 GHz signal must pass through two concrete/stucco walls with metal studs and drywall on both sides (4 drywall layers) and another wall with wooden studs and drywall on both sides. The total distance is about 35 feet. The wifi stays connected--mostly, but sometimes the wifi signal comes and goes, causing the solar panel system to go back and forth between cellular data and the wifi connection.

I cannot move the router or the solar panel connection point, and I'd rather not set up another router in a AiMesh system. So upgrading the router seems the best choice. Which Asus routers would be "upgrades," providing stronger signals than the RT-AX86u?

By "upgrading," I mean replacing it with an Asus router that provides a stronger signal on both bands.
The signal strength of all home routers is restricted by local regulations. So apart from some edge cases the signal strength of all Asus routers will be the same.

Which Asus routers would be "upgrades," providing stronger signals than the RT-AX86u?

This router already has power output up to 925mW on 2.4GHz and up to 998mW on 5GHz bands. This number will be adjusted by your local regulations and it will be the same with any other router Asus or other brand. For extended coverage you have to look at repeater, access point, "mesh" options.

The only test I would do is trying the RT-AX88U Pro in your network. It should have an upgraded RF design/hardware over the now 'old' RT-AX86U. :)

But I would assume that you will need to use the RT-AX86U as an AiMesh point, strategically located (maybe even within the garage), for maximum satisfaction.

Yeah to most all the above. Your router has only a 3-stream 2.4GHz radio if memory serves, but even with a 4-stream model the total radiated power will be the same, and the client will likely still be seeing more of the neighbor's wifi than the router anyway. That's not to say a 4-stream unit wouldn't maybe able to beamform a little better, and that /could/ net some improvement. Perhaps moving your router some will help.

A friend of mine had constant issues with 2.4GHz Wi-Fi connected printer a bit further away from the AP. Very similar to @gogreen1 situation. I told him to stop by Staples or BestBuy and get one TL-WA850RE repeater for $15. The repeater was set to create a hidden SSID for printer use only. It was like 2 years ago, both owner/printer are happy since. Sometimes there is a cheap readily available solution.

Might want to check the radio power settings on the router and client (if possible). I don't know what default is for your router, but I think mine was set to low out of the box.

Asus routers come default with Performance power settings in firmware.

If the solar panel controller has a connector for its WiFi antenna, then it's possible to find directional WiFi antennas - they have to be the real thing though not useless tat!

Directional antenna may eventually fix one device. An extender may eventually fix all the devices around.

I cannot move the router or the solar panel connection point, and I'd rather not set up another router in a AiMesh system. So upgrading the router seems the best choice. Which Asus routers would be "upgrades," providing stronger signals than the RT-AX86u?

My AiMesh node is in my detached garage at 77' from the router (brick construction on both house and garage)... I added this node to support wired and wireless clients. Upon upgrading my router to the AX86U Pro, I no longer need the garage node for the 2.4 wireless cams in the garage... they now connect adequately to the house router at distance (was about -74dBm RSSI; now about -64dBm RSSI). I believe the AX86U Pro is my best broadcaster so far... a scrunch more effective range than the AX86U.

This was timely... the current RT-AX86U_Pro_3.0.0.4.388.24198 firmware breaks Guest1 WLANs... no Internet access (for now) when configured properly. So, I switched to using Guest2 WLANs on the router only:
o direct route... no hopping over the node backhaul;
o fully-supported by the webUI... Guest2,3 client listings are more accurate/useable;
o less coverage, more secure... not broadcasting the Guest WLAN unnecessarily over a larger area.

The AX86U Pro 2.4 range has allowed me to adjust for this Guest1 WLAN bug... I no longer need the garage node for the garage cams (but I want it for wired clients and for roaming the property).

Back to your story... the path you are on (ASUS AIO) suggests you should upgrade your router and IF you need a garage or near garage AP, then redeploy your existing AX86U as AiMesh node (wired is best) or AP (wired) or Repeater/Extender (wireless).

Also know that small adjustments in antenna location (or dense objects/EMI sources in the wireless path) can matter, so look for these and try them, if possible.

OE

Last edited:
Thanks, all, for the advice. I think my options are the upgrade to the Pro version of my router or try a wifi range extender, like the TL-WA850RE.

@Justinh: How do I check the radio power settings on my RT-AX86u?

The Pro version of your current router isn't an upgrade. RT-AX88U Pro or GT-AX6000 are the better options today.

upgrade to the Pro version of my router or try a wifi range extender

The difference is $220 vs $15 and the need to re-configure your router from scratch vs 2min extender setup. The choice is yours.

Thanks, all, for the advice. I think my options are the upgrade to the Pro version of my router or try a wifi range extender, like the TL-WA850RE.

@Justinh: How do I check the radio power settings on my RT-AX86u?
On my old RT-AC68P:
Wireless > Professional > Tx power adjustment
(for whatever band you are using)

Update: I bought an ASUS RT-AX88u Pro. Setup and getting it running was easy--following the instructions! Based on my tests with Netspot, upload speeds are similar, comparing this router's tests with my old router (RT-AX86u), but download speed is WAY faster with the new router. I have no way to prove this, but I think the 2.4 GHz radio signal is stronger than before. Radio power settings before and now are at the top, and the new router is in the same place as the old router.

So far, I'm very pleased with the new router. My next test will be to see how all my devices handle router reboots.

Just some experiments. Some of my apps required a manual reset with the old router after power glitches, so I’m curious if they come back on line as they should with the new router.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!