What's new

Upgrading to 1.5gbps from 1gigapbit speed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wizin

Regular Contributor
Due to the wiring in my townhouse, I get the gigabit speed even with Cat 3. I was connecting it directly to AC-86U
I upgraded yesterday to 1.5 but didn't work and they are sending a tech to install new modem since the one I have cannot work for 1.5 ( it's a Nokia white color )
My query is do, wil it stil work over Cat 3 and do I need to upgrade my router like a RT-AX86U which advertises -
  • True 2 Gbps wired and wireless speeds - Aggregated 2 Gbps WAN connections, wired 2.5 Gbps port* and WiFi 6
I am with Telus in BC, Canada

Due to the wiring in my townhouse, I get the gigabit speed even with Cat 3. I was connecting it directly to AC-86U
I upgraded yesterday to 1.5 but didn't work and they are sending a tech to install new modem since the one I have cannot work for 1.5 ( it's a Nokia white color )
My query is do, wil it stil work over Cat 3 and do I need to upgrade my router like a RT-AX86U which advertises -
  • True 2 Gbps wired and wireless speeds - Aggregated 2 Gbps WAN connections, wired 2.5 Gbps port* and WiFi 6
I am with Telus in BC, Canada

Google found this discussion of Ethernet cabling... I doubt anyone would recommend against such standards-based information: Ethernet Cables Explained | Tripp Lite

As for the AX86U, test it wired (with the OEM cable) to your new and working modem/service to see what it will do.

OE

Last edited:
I upgraded yesterday to 1.5

Why? Now you need to upgrade to GT-AX6000 router with 2x 2.5GbE ports and after spending CAD500 more you'll realize your Internet is working exactly as before, limited by Gigabit ports and client radios. Then you'll need 2.5GbE switch for another CAD200 or more, plus new network cables, plus 2.5GbE capable wired clients, plus non-guaranteed to work 160MHz wide channels using DFS range, plus wireless clients with 160MHz wide channel support. Too much trouble and expenses for minimum investment returns. 95% of the time your traffic will stay under 100Mbps speeds.

Why? Now you need to upgrade to GT-AX6000 router with 2x 2.5GbE ports and after spending CAD500 more you'll realize your Internet is working exactly as before, limited by Gigabit ports and client radios. Then you'll need 2.5GbE switch for another CAD200 or more, plus new network cables, plus 2.5GbE capable wired clients, plus non-guaranteed to work 160MHz wide channels using DFS range, plus wireless clients with 160MHz wide channel support. Too much trouble and expenses for minimum investment returns. 95% of the time your traffic will stay under 100Mbps speeds.

You spitting facts here but better for him to learn this on his own.

That is primarily the reason I've stayed at 1Gbps on fiber and not moved up to the 1.5 or 3 Gbps service my ISP offers.

better for him to learn this on his own

This is going to be an expensive lesson, especially if he reads advertisements. Only $10/month more ISP offer turns into $10/month lost or leads to hundreds of dollars in expenses to match the new ISP plan with less and less returns of investment. What benefits from the new ISP speed upgrade is speedtest score and eventual aggregate traffic to multiple clients downloading large files at the same time. Everyday Internet use experience stays exactly the same. The first jump over Gigabit is the most expensive one. Change of entire network and clients is needed to see any real improvements.

Hell, even gig wire speeds are a bit more than the average Asus can handle at wire speed.

1.5 GE is such an odd number to be pushing it's just more of a PITA to make it work than it's worth. 2-5GE on the other hand makes more sense if you actually need the bandwidth consistently i.e. hosting business apps / streaming / hosting

If @wizin is ready for a network overhaul then it makes sense but, building to 5GE / 10GE would be the goal here if you're putting in the time / effort / expense to make it last for a good while in to the future. Short Ethernet runs and C3 might work but, minimum should be C6 which gives you 100ft run s w/o the added expense of C7 for 10GE at full 300ft runs.

Gig+ speeds for the aggregate network / clients is useful though if you have a ton of devices. If you're technically apt enough going DIY will yield results better than off the shelf options to an extent but, you'll still need APs for WIFI and a switch that hits 2.5 / 5 / 10GE speeds for the clients to hook into. On the other hand if you go DIY you can do a 5GE 4-port card for $200 that covers 1?2.5/5GE speeds.

I was worried about the cost involved and almost cancelled it but things didn't work anyways. Tech came and gave me a new modem/router and it could barely reach 500mbps. He said its probably due to cat 3. I told him I am happy with Asus as it gives me advertised speed

I called the ISP and instead of 89.99/mo for 1.5, I went with 1gig for 74.99/mo instead

If you don't need the 1ge speed you could go 5G with TMO for $50/mo and get 200+/80 and no data cap. Built in WiFi 6 or script to turn it off and use your own router.

I am in Canada, whats TMO? but no I want the 1 GIG, I watch lot of foreign content via MUBI and need a good speed with VPN

Since I have others attention, is there a benefit to upgrade ASUS from AC-86U, doesnt Wifi 6 help? a lot for wireless IPTV boxes

T-Mobile is TMO.

Canada is a different world when it comes to ISPs though.

Most streams are under 20mbps though and gig is overkill even with VPN. If you're using older VPN tech though switching to one that uses wireguard will speed things up considerably.

Cat 3 cable in 2022, are you kidding me? Why can't you get at least Cat 5 or pushing it Cat 6?
Not by choice, its in my townhouse built in. For now it works with 1 gig. Unsure how it can be replaced through the walls like that

I have Coax in each room, can anything be done through that? Currently I have satellite connections but dont use it anymore

I want the 1 GIG, I watch lot of foreign content via MUBI and need a good speed with VPN

Online video streams are compressed and >20x UHD streams fit in Gigabit. Your connection speed is plenty. If you use on-router OpenVPN client, your VPN speed will be limited up to 200-250Mbps. With Wireguard you can get up to 300-350Mbps. Coax cables - read about MoCA options.

With an isolated coax layout in the building, you can use MOCA2.5 modems and get 1 Gbit/s full duplex.
All splitters have to be MOCA2 certified compatible (satellite stuff usually does not work even though it covers the freq range used).

I have the comcast 1.2 Gb (1.4 Gb overprovisioned) just for the upload. If they did a 500+ down 100+ up tier I would be happier with that.

I have the comcast 1.2 Gb (1.4 Gb overprovisioned) just for the upload. If they did a 500+ down 100+ up tier I would be happier with that.
Comcast would have to move from a low split to Mid to offer 100Mbps uploads. Who knows if that will ever happen.

Comcast would have to move from a low split to Mid to offer 100Mbps uploads. Who knows if that will ever happen.
It’s always “coming soon”. But, seriously, they have actually started node replacements for this, but it’s going to take a LONG time.

It’s always “coming soon”. But, seriously, they have actually started node replacements for this, but it’s going to take a LONG time.
lol facts boss.

I was on cable internet on 15+ years. When Docsis 3.1 was launched there was big talk years later they still talking about Docsis 4.0.

There is only 1 Cable provider that I know in canada that has gone mid split and that is shaw. You can get 100 Mbps uploads with them modems would be docsis 3.1 on the download side and 3.0 on the upload.

All the other Cable providers Rogers, Tek savvy etc all still low split. In the US I don't think anyone is on mid its all low aswell.

I wish I had in my area 950/950 option for $75/month. I pay $108/month for 500/30 and this plan is not available anymore.

lol facts boss.

I was on cable internet on 15+ years. When Docsis 3.1 was launched there was big talk years later they still talking about Docsis 4.0.

There is only 1 Cable provider that I know in canada that has gone mid split and that is shaw. You can get 100 Mbps uploads with them modems would be docsis 3.1 on the download side and 3.0 on the upload.

All the other Cable providers Rogers, Tek savvy etc all still low split. In the US I don't think anyone is on mid its all low aswell.
Yeah it’s a mess. 4.0 is a long way off, though I thought midsplit was going to allow “up to” 200Mbps up.