What's new

Upgrading to a RT-AX89X from a RT-AC88U (Advice needed on easiest upgrade path)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

swanlee

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
So I got a great deal on a RT-AX89X and I went with it due to the 10G lan ports and Wifi 6.

I enjoyed my RT-AC88U but it is a little long in the tooth now.

So I have done a few new router changes a few times but with this one I have ALOT more wifi devices due to home automation and some other new stuff I do so I'd like to plan it to go easier with less downtime.

I have some quick questions

1. Can I just take the config file from my AC88 and import it to the AX89 and then be pretty much good to go?
2. If not is their any other way to auto get my router configs ported over?
3. If I have to manually port my configs what place in the gui is the quickest place to look for everything I have customized?
4. On the new router if I keep the same SSID names for my network and the same password will most of my wifi devices just reconnect?
5. The 10G ports seems a little confusing on the 10 base T one is that where I plug my cable modem into? I want speeds above 1GB as on Comcast I have a 1.2 GB plan
6. Anything else I need to consider with this switch over?

Thanks for any advice on this.

1) No.
2) Not if you want the best possible performance, reliability, and stability from your new router.
3) Screenshots are the easiest. Use a sorted NVRAM list for more complete (but text-only) output.
4) Yes, but that isn't ideal going from an AC class router to an AX class router. At the very least, some of your devices may need to 'forget' the network and re-associate with it again for the best performance or stability. Just easier to use new SSIDs (you may keep the old passwords if they are alphanumeric only).
5) There may be an issue between the ISP equipment and your new router. All you can do is try and hope there isn't one.

You may find some of the information in the following links useful when setting up a new network.

Fully Reset / Best Practice Setup / More

[Wireless] ASUS router Hard Factory Reset | Official Support | ASUS Global

Almost all L&LD Links

About L&LD

1. Can I just take the config file from my AC88 and import it to the AX89 and then be pretty much good to go?
No.
2. If not is their any other way to auto get my router configs ported over?
No.
3. If I have to manually port my configs what place in the gui is the quickest place to look for everything I have customized?
We have no idea what customisations you've made.
4. On the new router if I keep the same SSID names for my network and the same password will most of my wifi devices just reconnect?
Yes.
5. The 10G ports seems a little confusing on the 10 base T one is that where I plug my cable modem into?
Yes, but the cable modem must also have a 10GBASE-T socket, not just a 2.5GBASE-T.

Thanks for the info, bummer the config files from previous ASUS routers won't import any valid configs on the new router. I'm going to need to plan this out well and take tons of screen shots to limit my downtime. I may wait to do it over Xmas break then.

And on this question I'm more asking if their is some hidden section/place in the gui that consolidates into one place and shows all customizations I have made from the various sections of the GUI? Would seem like a useful feature for times like these.

And on this question I'm more asking if their is some hidden section/place in the gui that consolidates into one place and shows all customizations I have made from the various sections of the GUI?
No, there's no such place.

I'm not certain about the Asus factory firmware, but it is certainly possible with the Merlin software. I just did it, going from an outdated RT-N66U to an AX88U. Old router was running the last available version of Merlin, I saved the config, flashed the current Merlin to the new router and restored the old config file to the new router.

It does not affect the new features of course, those are left to the defaults and have to be set manually in the new router. But it did bring over all my WiFi networks, Ipv6 settings, static IP tables, port forwards, etc. that are common to both routers. Easiest router upgrade ever. All devices reconnected normally, with the caveat that Windows machines recognized it was a new router and asked if the network was Home, Work or Public on connecting the first time.

I would say it's worth a try. If worst comes to worst, you have to do a factory reset and set things up manually -- just what you are facing now, so you have nothing to lose by trying.

But that's just my 2¢, and worth every penny you paid.

I just did it, going from an outdated RT-N66U to an AX88U.

Possible for basic configuration settings, but not recommended. Better reset the AX88U and start fresh instead of finding issues down the road when you have no time to reset and reconfigure manually. The two routers are completely different generations running very different firmware.

I'm not certain about the Asus factory firmware, but it is certainly possible with the Merlin software. I just did it, going from an outdated RT-N66U to an AX88U. Old router was running the last available version of Merlin, I saved the config, flashed the current Merlin to the new router and restored the old config file to the new router.

It does not affect the new features of course, those are left to the defaults and have to be set manually in the new router. But it did bring over all my WiFi networks, Ipv6 settings, static IP tables, port forwards, etc. that are common to both routers. Easiest router upgrade ever. All devices reconnected normally, with the caveat that Windows machines recognized it was a new router and asked if the network was Home, Work or Public on connecting the first time.

I would say it's worth a try. If worst comes to worst, you have to do a factory reset and set things up manually -- just what you are facing now, so you have nothing to lose by trying.

But that's just my 2¢, and worth every penny you paid.
I don't think the AX89X supports Merlin

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!