What's new

Upgrading to AX86AU, But Now It Won't Connect to Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pegasus9

Regular Contributor
Upgrading from AC5300 to an AX86AU. Got everything set up, used all the settings from the old router. Things were working fine on the AX86U but then it stopped talking to the internet. I was renaming devices, etc not changing settings when I noticed the internet was no longer connected. -- actually it says it is connected and got a new IP from the ISP but no data is moving. Rebooted the router and modem several times, no change. I called Comcast said connectivity stops at the router.

I unplugged everything on the AX86U and brought the old router back online and it worked fine. So it is definitely something on the router.

I installed Merlin 386.4 when it was working.

Before I blow it all out and start over, I thought I would see if there is anything I should check/verify first.

Last edited:
Upgrading from AC5300 to an AX86AU. Got everything set up, used all the settings from the old router. Things were working fine on the AX86U but then it stopped talking to the internet. I was renaming devices, etc not changing settings when I noticed the internet was no longer connected. -- actually it says it is connected and got a new IP from the ISP but no data is moving. Rebooted the router and modem several times, no change. I called Comcast said connectivity stops at the router.

I unplugged everything on the AX86U and brought the old router back online and it worked fine. So it is definitely something on the router.

I installed Merlin 386.4 when it was working.

Before I blow it all out and start over, I thought I would see if there is anything I should check/verify first.
Hope you did not use a settings file from the old router.
There have been a couple of times after setup of new firmware that the desktop connected to my AX86U would not connect to the Internet. Pulling the Ethernet cable from PC to router then back in fixed the connection issue.
DId you do a factory default reset after flashing 386.4? If not do so. Do not restore a settings file. Manually configure the AX86U. Start simple with just new SSID - passphrase/Admin User - password. Let it settle in for a couple of minutes before changing things.

Thanks for the response, always helps to get a new set of eyes on something.

Did not use the settings file, never crossed my mind since they were different models.

Physical connection is good and the jumper is new. It is says it is connected, just not passing data.

Never thought about resetting after the flash, if I end up rebuilding I do that.

I did not let it settle down before making additional changes -- I was in a rush -- that may have been where I fouled things up and why I cant point to a specific thing that occured before losing the data transfer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!