What's new

Uploading with Download Master stagnates on RT-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can you limit the number of connections DM has? That fixes a lot of issues.

If you want more processor power, the RT-AC1900P (the latest and best version of the RT-AC68U series) from Best Buy (exclusive) offers 75% faster processing over the 800MHz 'AC68U 'original'.

If you want the fastest processing and most ram (in an Asus branded router) then the RT-AC3100, RT-AC88U or the RT-AC5300 are your choices, today.

The BRT-AC828/m2 is the next level of hardware that should be coming soon. :)

http://www.snbforums.com/threads/new-asus-brt-ac828-wireless-ac2600-dual-wan-vpn-router.32839/

Wow! That did the trick! \o/ I just assumed the default total maximum of 260? connections was very low, and didn't bother trying to change it. Thanks a lot man! :D Now, Asus should really lower that default setting.

Download Master has it's limitations as a torrent client. For instance you can't choose more files for download after you've added a torrent. I still probably won't bother with getting Transmission though since I've read it's CPU intensive on ARM CPUs. I might check out a more powerful Asus router, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra bucks. The RT-AC1900P isn't available in my country, but the RT-AC87U is for little bit more than I paid for the one I have...

Unless you want to have a possible debugging run (that may or may not end successfully), forget about the RT-AC87U. Use search and see that many others still have ongoing issues with that model.

Glad that lowering the connections worked. Curious how low you had to go though?

Alright! Not going for the RT-AC87U then.

With only a total of 80 connections the upload speed drops to 40 KB/s on the RT-AC68U. Pretty weak compared to a regular computer where the default in a BitTorrent client is 500ish. You would think it would handle more considering it has two cores and all, but no! A total of 70ish connections works fine though. Then it's stable with close to the maximum upload throughput of my DSL.

Alright! Not going for the RT-AC87U then.

With only a total of 80 connections the upload speed drops to 40 KB/s on the RT-AC68U. Pretty weak compared to a regular computer where the default in a BitTorrent client is 500ish. You would think it would handle more considering it has two cores and all, but no! A total of 70ish connections works fine though. Then it's stable with close to the maximum upload throughput of my DSL.

The number of cores matters little when you are dealing with a CPU that has the rough CPU power of a Pentium III, with 256 MB of RAM, and disk storage subsystem that can barely hit 50 MB/s sustained, and probably has a very, very low IOPS.

In short: router hardware is not designed to handle that kind of task.

If you're maxing the ISP's upload, then it is working as advertised. Just needs different settings than a real computer. ;)

I understand what you're saying, but this is functionality advertised and why I bought it in the first place (in addition to SSH tunneling or VPN).

They never advertised any performance numbers. Yes, the feature does work, as long you limit the number of connections to fit what the hardware can handle. Just like a PC desktop can't handle 500,000 connections with a 10 Gbps link.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!