What's new

UPNP Internal Port Range Setting

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

WMConey

Regular Contributor
So I'm trying to debug an Amazon issue where my Echo / Dot [1 each] regularly loose connection. If I use my cell as a hotspot, they work great but hooked to either frequency off my AC-68 they are good for about 1 response before they fail.

Amazon gave me a list of UPD that need to be open. My ISP threw up their hands and pushed my router into a DMZ and claim everything is now forwarded. Still no joy.

Going through the ASUS [Merlin 380.68] settings, I see that UPNP is set to 1024 to 65535 on "UPNP: Allowed internal port range" and 1 to 65535 for the external port range. The Amazon devices apparently use at least 3 UDP ports below 1024.

Can someone advise if this setting could be part of the problem?

TIA!

Adjust the setting to allow 1 through 65535 then try, you'll see if it's the source of your problem.

Adjust the setting to allow 1 through 65535 then try, you'll see if it's the source of your problem.

Thanks for responding - gave it a shot and didn't really see any difference. Would the default setting have blocked communication between the Amazon devices on my internal network and their servers?

Thanks for responding - gave it a shot and didn't really see any difference. Would the default setting have blocked communication between the Amazon devices on my internal network and their servers?
It's unlikely. The only thing I could find about the Echo was this which is next to useless (as usual) because they don't specify whether they're talking about source or destination ports. That said, the only low UDP ports they mention are 53, 67, 68 and 123 which are DNS, DHCP and NTP (Duh! What idiot writes this stuff?), so I think we can assume that it doesn't need special ports being opened.

You need to provide some more specific information.

What do you mean by "My ISP threw up their hands and pushed my router into a DMZ"? What router, your Asus? How have they done that?

You say they "regularly loose connection". To Amazon's servers? Or loosing wireless connection to the router?

No, unless they try to forward ports through UPNP and some of these were below 1024. It has no effect on regular outbound connections.