What's new

UPNP & Rainbow 6 Siege

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

tsumeone

New Around Here
All of my friends have non-ASUS routers and are able to play RS6 Siege with Open NAT using UPNP with their routers. But on my RT-AC1900P, it doesn't work. It also doesn't work on the official ASUS firmware either. Possibly someone here smarter than I can figure out a way to get it to work. If I manually forward ports 49000-65535, I get "Open" NAT type - but this isn't a great solution since that means no one else in my house can have "Open" NAT. This is why the need for UPNP.

This is what happens in the system log every time the game attempts to forward a port with UPNP:
Feb 22 00:36:12 miniupnpd[1055]: Failed to convert hostname '' to ip address

I ran Wireshark to try to figure out what's going on. http://pastebin.com/2urr8b5C

I thought it might have something to do with that funky description, but I was able to use upnpc on my PC to successfully map a port with that same description. Based on the error in the router log and the error returned to the router, I can only assume the problem is that the game's UPNP request is not specifically spelling out the PC's internal IP address for the router. I looked at a valid UPNP request packet and the only difference is that the internal IP is spelled out for the router whereas RS6 Siege is not doing that.

Can the UPNP code be fixed to use the requestor's IP when the <NewInternalClient> field is blank? Yes, having that blank is probably not to spec, but other routers are handling it just fine.

EDIT: If I disable the two VMware ethernet adapters on my PC, RS6 Siege populates the field. Great programming, Ubisoft. I guess that explains why it works for other people. This thread can be deleted :/

EDIT 2: This fixes the problem. http://superuser.com/questions/1172...-unidentified-networks-in-windows-vista-and-7 Sorry for making a thread here before fully understanding the issue - Ubisoft picking the wrong adapter (nothing to do with ASUS router or firmware). Following the instructions in that link apparently makes the game not try to use those adapters, and my vmware still works.

Last edited: