What's new

Urgent. Can client1 exported when in "Dual NAT" be used when the NAT problem is fixed?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

xlarge

Regular Contributor
The case. I have travelled 300 km to replace a wireless router (with problems) to a new one. Everything work well with the new one, but as I only use it as bridge with an asus 68u after set up as vpn server I got the warning

The wireless router currently uses a private WAN IP address (192.168.x.x, 10.x.x.x or 172.16.x.x).
This router may be in the multiple-NAT environment.

The reason is that the wireless router hasn't been set to disable NAT. I have contacted the isp technicals but as they cannot be reached by phone, only by prority mail, I don't know how long it takes and may be I must stay over on a hotel if the isp technichal personel don't respond quickly.

My question is - can I use the client1.ovpn exported under this setup later when the NAT on the wireless router is disabled. (It don't work right now).

If the client1 file is the same as if it would be created later with not NAT problem, I can travel home and hope it work, but as I cannot test it before I need for advice.

Hope for answer before long.

The reason is that the wireless router hasn't been set to disable NAT. I have contacted the isp technicals but as they cannot be reached by phone, only by prority mail, I don't know how long it takes and may be I must stay over on a hotel if the isp technichal personel don't respond quickly.
Do you really mean "disable NAT" (but leaving it in wireless router mode), or do you mean "change to bridged mode"? The difference is important.

Do you have access to the ISP router so that you can configure it yourself?

My question is - can I use the client1.ovpn exported under this setup later when the NAT on the wireless router is disabled. (It don't work right now).
No.

What firmware version are you using on the Asus?

Hi. My question should be firmware-unindependent as I only ask if a warning will be reflected in the client1.ovpn file.
And, --- now I can confirm that it work after have tried it remote yesterday evening. I can also confirm that change of bridge-router (before the asus) have nothing to do with the client1.ovpn. I could use the old client1 also. (I use the latest asuswrt-merlin on my asus 68u).

I'm glad to hear that it is working.

The client1.ovpn contains the remote IP address or DNS name of your internet connection. If your router has a private WAN IP address and puts that in client1.opvpn then the client will be unable to connect to it over the internet. That's why there is that warning.

I asked about the firmware because Merlin's firmware has an enhancement to DDNS that helps with this problem. I don't believe the stock Asus firmware has this feature.

Thank you very much, Colin.
As I use asuscomm.com I suppose they found my changed internet connection. I am very happy with the Merlin software.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!