What's new

URGENT HELP! Asus RT-AC3200..Media Bridge bug?/DHCP problems/New Merlin firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Stephans

Occasional Visitor
Hi everybody,

I have some really annoying problems with the RT-AC3200 in bridge mode (Both router are same type and firmware)
Also have updated to the latest firmware from asus but still problems with clients trying connecting to the router.
Some clients show unindentified network status (no internet) on de media bridge side. This is sometimes /random after restarting the router and/or media bridge a couple of times the client al of the sudden gets an IP and the other client wich was connected before now gets disconnected. On the router (with internet connection) side I have no problems so far. Also have tried to update with the latest merlin version wich was better but not solving all the poblems. Merlin shows more clients connected though. In de network mapping the media bridge shows more clients than on the router side. Looks like it is not syncing correctly. I also have read that that I have to turn of smart connect. but still same problem. When I try to connect the media bridge to a 5ghz-2 channel it shows undefined (smart connect turned off or on) (see attachment). Also when installing a new hyper-v client for example it cannot contact the gateway to get an IP but after a few times restarting the router all of the sudden it can. What is going on here guy's it's really driving me nuts. Right now I'm running version 3.0.0.4.378.7838 Original from ASUS. But today I'm reverting it back again to the lastest Merlin version RT-AC3200_378.55_0 wich was better but not solving. Also the merlin version shows undefined when connecting the media bridge to the router. It looks like it cannot connect to that channel. Also have done a couple of factory resets with both version (Original from asus and Merlin).

Is there also a best practice to update the firmware to the lastest merlin version?

Thanks for your time reading this and hopefully somebody can help me out here.

Thanks.

Stephan

Attachments

• IMG_1919.JPG
    IMG_1919.JPG
    57.4 KB · Views: 675
Some more infomation with the newest merlin firmware. Really need some urgent help here!

I have 2 Asus RT-AC3200 routers. One operation mode as Router (the one with internet) and the other as Media Bridge. The Media Bridge is connected through the 5 GHZ-1 channel now with the Router. On the media bridge side I have a HP ML350 v2 Hyper-V server and some other stuff like a printer/PC I want to connect to the internet because I have no UTP directly to the router. Must say the speed is very nice over the 5GHZ.

I have done a full factory reset on both devices yesterday with the newest Merlin firmware. It seems like it can only connect with the 5GHZ-1 channel and not the 5GHZ-2 channel is not visible anymore for connecting a media bridge. That is not bothering me much. The connection is working now and stable for now thanks to the Merlin firmware.

The devices I have attached to my router are working without a problem. The devices on the side of the media bridge are dropping connection or just can't make a connection with the the router (gateway).
They are not getting an IP from the DHCP. If I make a static IP then also a no internet/unidentified network will show up on the network adapter.

What I also noticed is that when I connected a device it gets the same IP ( example 192.168.1.83) as another device in my network! (See DoubleIP.PNG) It also says one device is static and the other DHCP. I have double checked that and it is not static! Not on the server and not on the router. There is someting wrong with the DHCP on the RT-AC3200.

Yesterday evening I could contact some devices/virtual machines behing my media bridge (not al of them). This morning I could not contact the devices I could connect to yesterday evening. I see that the network map is completely changed and suddenly other devices are in the list that I could not connect to yesterday.

The network map on the Router is completely different than the network map on the network bridge. Some devices are on both listst. Only to those device I can connect and have a working internet connection. This is random. What is going on here?

I'm sure I have one DHCP/DNS (the one on the router).

Attachments

• DoubleIP.PNG
    DoubleIP.PNG
    100.3 KB · Views: 653
BTW: Yesterday I was able to see and connect over WiFi (Router) to the media bridge. Now (today) the media bridge is not visible on the network map and i'm unable to connect on the IP of the media bridge. This happens with a static and/or a dynamic (DHCP) adres given to the bridge.

SEE LOG IN THE ATTACHMENT

Attachments

• Loglast12hours.txt
    35.2 KB · Views: 518
Last edited:
@RMerlin Could you please if you have the time take a look at my router/bridge/DHCP issues. It's driving me nuts and I can't get it to work. Thanks! :)

I recommend you contact Asus's tech support since you have the same issue with the stock firmware. I don't deal with the media bridge support in the firmware.

Thanks for replying :)

I will do that.

Right now I have turned OFF the DHCP server on the router and have given the Media Bridge a static IP. Both RT-AC3200 are now connected to each other.

RT-AC3200 as Router <--> RT-AC3200 as Media Bridge

I have running a DHCP and DNS server on a windows platform now. For now, so far so good! No weird disconnecting clients and everything is online with a working network and internet connection.

RT-AC3200 as Router <--> RT-AC3200 as Media Bridge <--> Windows platform with DHCP and DNS

I hope it stays this way. IF this is working for a while i'm for sure that the DHCP on the Asus router has a bug. A big bug! :confused:

Goede dag, beste Stephans!
I have the same problems (RT AC-3200) has been bought for a couple days ago. Also have Hyper-V, but problem in ASUS RT AC-3200 itself. The newest software from ASUS didn't help.
Probably you could resolve this problem?
Hoop voor uw hulp
Bedankt, Ed.

Hi Ed :),

If you ask me there is still a big bug in the DNS/DHCP when using the two routers together (media bridge) (standalone I dont know).
What I eventually have done is to connect the two router with a UTP cable and disabled the DHCP and DNS on the router.
One AC-3200 as router and the other one as Access Point. Setup a DHCP server and DNS server in Hyper-V and everything is stable.
I've already lost so much time with this crappy router, that I'm happy that it is working now. Not the way I wanted but it is working now.
Mabey you can contact Asus about this problem. I also had contacted asus. but I was so tired of it that I left it.

This is a workaround for the problem and eventually resolved the problem.

Some advice: Install Merlin firmware (this is more stable then the original firmware). Install DHCP and DNS on hyper-V. Connect the two AC-3200's with UTP and your good to go.:cool:

Youre welcome (graag gedaan), Steph.

Goede dag, beste Stephans!
I have the same problems (RT AC-3200) has been bought for a couple days ago. Also have Hyper-V, but problem in ASUS RT AC-3200 itself. The newest software from ASUS didn't help.
Probably you could resolve this problem?
Hoop voor uw hulp
Bedankt, Ed.

Hi Ed,

Its has been a while.
Hope you are doing well.
I just have found a solution for the problem.
Use Shibby Tomato firmware!
I have it now in bridge mode and still stable!
You have to download the firmware and retore utility from asus to replace the firmware on both routers. Als on youtube and using google you can find the instructions how to replace.

Go to: http://www.linksysinfo.org/index.php?threads/asus-rt-ac3200-supported-by-tomato.71878/

After repacing the firmware you can use WDS option to link the routers wireless.

https://learntomato.com/setup-wireless-repeater-wds-bridge-tomato/

Keep in mind that smart connect is not yet supported by shibby tomato. Just use for accesspoint mode the same ssid and your good to go. I can say it works just fine.

Regards Stephan (Groeten!)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!