What's new

URL blacklist not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Nullik32

New Around Here
Router: RT-AX86U PRO
Firmware: Asus Merlin 388.1

I want to block sites, but both url-filter and disversion domain blacklist don't work, they don't let me in from my phone, but they let me from all computers in the house. What to do in this case?

Sorry if you not understanding, i use a google translator!

Router: RT-AX86U PRO
Firmware: Asus Merlin 388.1

I want to block sites, but both url-filter and disversion domain blacklist don't work, they don't let me in from my phone, but they let me from all computers in the house. What to do in this case?

Sorry if you not understanding, i use a google translator!

Are you using VPN on the computers or on the router? If so neither will have any effect.

Have you tried installing Skynet using the AMTM tool, and using that to block domains?

Works fine on my router, you may need to double check your settings (make sure it is enabled, set to "deny list" and you clicked the "+" after each domain you added, then hit apply after adding all domains). Make sure you are formatting the domain right, you don't need a whole URL, keep it as short and simple as possible, for example just "playboy" instead of "http://www.playboy.com/login.html"

It is also possible that whatever antivirus/firewall you have on the computers has enabled a VPN automatically and you don't know it, some include that feature.

Works fine on my router, you may need to double check your settings (make sure it is enabled, set to "deny list" and you clicked the "+" after each domain you added, then hit apply after adding all domains). Make sure you are formatting the domain right, you don't need a whole URL, keep it as short and simple as possible, for example just "playboy" instead of "http://www.playboy.com/login.html"

It is also possible that whatever antivirus/firewall you have on the computers has enabled a VPN automatically and you don't know it, some include that feature.
Thanks for the answer,
I did this without https and com at the beginning and end, and still, even after a reboot, it lets me go to these sites.

Firewall issue?

Last edited:
Thanks for the answer,
I did this without https and com at the beginning and end, and still, even after a reboot, it lets me go to these sites.

Firewall issue?
Did you try Skynet?

Are you sure that your devices are using the router as their DNS server?

URL filter doesn't use DNS. Or I guess I should say it doesn't rely on using the router's DNS, it snoops all DNS packets regardless of destination.

If using a phone, make sure it doesn't have Private DNS enabled, which would use DOH and bypass the router's DNS configuration.

If using a phone, make sure it doesn't have Private DNS enabled, which would use DOH and bypass the router's DNS configuration.
Thank you very much for your answer!

I turned off private DNS on the phone and it became the same as on computers throughout the house (let on those resources that I want to block) and now the question is how to block it.

Thank you very much for your answer!

I turned off private DNS on the phone and it became the same as on computers throughout the house (let on those resources that I want to block) and now the question is how to block it.

Um turning off private DNS on the phone should make it work, not stop working. Are you sure you didn't turn ON private DNS? Your web browsers likely have it enabled too.

Skynet and similar are one way of addressing it but it is going to put more load on your router and you are relying on someone to maintain those IP block lists that change every day.