What's new

USB 2.0 vs USB 3.0

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zer0bitz

Regular Contributor
Which port should I use for SSD and HDD? I have a spare 32Gb SSD for AMTM addons but cant decide which port to use for the SSD. Is USB 2.0 bad choice for it?

Which port should I use for SSD and HDD? I have a spare 32Gb SSD for AMTM addons but cant decide which port to use for the SSD. Is USB 2.0 bad choice for it?
If it's a USB 3 device then use USB 3 it's that simple.

If it's a USB 3 device then use USB 3 it's that simple.

That is true. Forgot to mention that I have a 3Tb HDD what I want to use as a backup for my family members over FTP. This is why im considering using that SSD over USB 2.0 and have that HDD on USB 3.0 to achieve better speeds.

That is true. Forgot to mention that I have a 3Tb HDD what I want to use as a backup for my family members over FTP. This is why im considering using that SSD over USB 2.0 and have that HDD on USB 3.0 to achieve better speeds.
The scripts for the router will run fine on USB 2 so use the USB 3 for the more demanding tasks.

A USB drive connected to a router for backup purposes isn't a backup drive. If this is the only 'backup' being used.

Your best bet is getting a NAS (QNAP or Synology). The more bays, the better. Even if you only start with a couple of HDDs in those bays, today.

Not a good idea especially with AX56U entry-level router with 512MB RAM. You have it loaded good with scripts already.

I see. I will try to use USB 3.0 HDD on my NAS and leave that SSD alone on the router for scripts. Thank you both for your replys.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!