What's new

USB 3.0 Not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Oldun

Occasional Visitor
I have an Asus RT-AC68U router running the latest Asus-merlin firmware 386.3.2

I have been trying to set up a hard drive as NAS type storage. However no matter what I do I cannot get any storage drive recognised by the USB 3.0. I have have no trouble whatsoever with the USB 2.0

I have tried two different HDs and an SSD, of varying sizes from 500GB to 2TB. I have tried formatting them, on the computer, using FAT and NTFS but all returned the same result - not recognised by UDB 3.0.

I then connected them, in turn, to the USB 2.0, reformatted them on the Asus, to FAT and NTFS only to find that they are still unrecognised by USB 3.0

Any ideas?

Since starting using the Asus with merlin firmware it seem thst everything I try is one step forward and two back!!!

are those HDS/SSD have they own power supply?
I had exactly the same issue with AC68U (as it is old) that power supplier was not able to provide additional electric power. USB 3.0 need more power compering to USB 2.0.
In my case when I changed power supplier USB 3.0 start to work again. Power supply efficiency over a time is decrease.
To investigate please connect active (with own power supply) USB HUB to port USB 3.0 and check if it is working.

It is not RMerlin soft fault at all. You will see the same challenges even with FreshTomato. In your case it is reverse placebo effect :). Definitely RMErlin is better soft than ori AsusWRT and have less bugs. I have myself 3 AC68U running RMerlin and I do not have any issues. For all of them I have pendrive connected to USB 3.0 where I have SWAP and amtm - skynet etc.
For your router the best file system is ext3/4 not FAT or NTFS

Last edited:
Thanks a lot.

The disc does not have its own power supply. I will look for a USB 3.0 caddy with a separate power supply.

I will also investigate the way in which the drive is formatted.

The USB drive is visible on my computer under Network and my backup software is able to back-up to the USB drive

You will be better off investing in a NAS. Performance wise a router is best left as a router and the USB3 can cause issues with the WIFI.

I have been trying to set up a hard drive as NAS type storage.

Router's tiny hardware can't handle NAS duties. Only simple and small volume file sharing. Your USB 3.0 issues can be USB device controller incompatibility related. Better save some money and get a real NAS, if you want a stable router + real NAS performance.

I have noe decided to give up the idea of setting up thr Asus router as a VPN router and to give up the idea of using the router with a USB drive.

I will now use the Asus router basically as a second router and to buy a dedicate NAS.

Thanks for all you help.

I have a similar problem trying to use a 64Gb flash drive on an AC3100. I put it in the 3.0 slot, it powers up but never shows up on the main screen nor is accessible. I just want to try the UPnP Media server and VERY LIGHTLY share a couple files.

Use a different drive until you find one that is compatible.

Neither of the above is enough for me to not try another drive. :)

A different chip, different firmware, different format, or different (internal) parts for both the USB drive and the specific router in question is enough to cause these 'symptoms'.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!