What's new

USB AC-53 with RT-AC3200 not getting proper download speeds

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Arrow

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit edition with a USB AC-53 adapter (I own two of these) along with a RT-AC3200 firmware version 3.0.0.4.378_7838

When I use a networking cable from my modem, speedtests indicate over 300 Mbps (down). When I connect using networking cables from the modem to my router to a computer, speedtests also indicate over 300 Mbps, which is normal. When I connect wirelessly (with the USB adapter situated less than a foot away from the router), I get RX link rate of 866.5 Mbps. However, my download rates/speedtest are limited to a max of 150 Mbps, wirelessly. I thought the problem might be QoS related, so I disabled it. The same problem persists.

I am not using smart connect.

I'm connecting on 5Ghz-2 at 80 Mhz.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what's causing this problem. I can reproduce this issue on more than one computer, and it happens with both USB AC-53 adapters.

Help would be greatly appreciated. For example, I'm wondering if there's a setting under the Professional tab that would address this problem. Or is there a setting under the Advanced tab in the USB adapter device properties that would fix this?

Edit: Merlin firmware 378.55 doesn't seem to help either.

Last edited:
When I use a networking cable from my modem, speedtests indicate over 300 Mbps (down). When I connect using networking cables from the modem to my router to a computer, speedtests also indicate over 300 Mbps, which is normal. When I connect wirelessly (with the USB adapter situated less than a foot away from the router), I get RX link rate of 866.5 Mbps. However, my download rates/speedtest are limited to a max of 150 Mbps, wirelessly. I thought the problem might be QoS related, so I disabled it. The same problem persists.

I'm not seeing a problem here - 11ac in 2*2:2 is about half the speed of Gigabit Ethernet, so your numbers look about right...

I'm not seeing a problem here - 11ac in 2*2:2 is about half the speed of Gigabit Ethernet, so your numbers look about right...

You don't see the problem in having a link rate of 866.7 Mbps--and being limited to 150 Mbps from it?

By the way, I enabled "optimize AMPDU aggregation" under the "Professional tab." Doing so briefly brought me to 225 Mbps for about 5 speed tests in a row. I then started fiddling around with disabling beamforming and other settings, and now I'm back to 150 Mbps.

Anyway, something's wrong here.

A. Internet service provider plan gives me about 300 Mbps down,

B which I do get (the full 300 Mbps) using networking cable with the router to computers

C. But despite the USB AC-53 giving me a link rate of 866.7 Mbps with the RT-AC3200, I'm only seeing 150 Mbps (down) using the AC adapter (wirelessly).

Last edited:
You don't see the problem in having a link rate of 866.7 Mbps--and only getting 150 Mbps from it?

Yes, given that the USB-AC53, while being a very good adapter, it's a USB 2.0 only device...

Also consider that the 867Mbps is what the wireless physical layer connection is - that's not the TCP/IP and UDP network layer connect speed.

I also don't put much stock in speedtest.net results - it's ok for a quick check, but I've found dslreports speed tester to be more accurate - http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

Yes, given that the USB-AC53, while being a very good adapter, it's a USB 2.0 only device...

Sure, but I was under the impression USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps, still far greater than 300 Mbps.

So, you're saying 150Mbps from 480 should be considered normal?

Also consider that the 867Mbps is what the wireless physical layer connection is - that's not the TCP/IP and UDP network layer connect speed.

But that doesn't explain why changing settings saw a jump from 150 to 225.

I also don't put much stock in speedtest.net results - it's ok for a quick check, but I've found dslreports speed tester to be more accurate - http://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

I get the same result from across multiple speed test sites. Doesn't change anything . . .
unless you think max download rate from the USB-AC53 is 150 Mbps? Is it?
No.

from http://forums.hardwarezone.com.sg/74374966-post4.html

This person gets . . .

5GHz-AC-Speedtest-VQ.png

So, my original question remains.

Last edited:
Well, if you really want to test performance and throughput, and do it consistently, you need to test on your LAN first to get repeatable/consistent results.

Good tool here, and it's free - install it on a PC with Gigabit Ethernet, and also on your PC that you're testing against...

http://nutsaboutnets.com/netstress/

There's tweaks in the professional section on the 3200, and there's also settings that you can tweak on the driver side for the USB adapter - Windows 10 drivers tend to be very conservative in my limited exposure (since Win10 is fairly new).

Best of luck - I'm sure you'll find something that works well - one thing, you didn't mention if Laptop or Desktop - but getting the USB adapter away from the computer on a USB extension does tend to help the RF performance...

If i remember ever since windows vista microsoft has added network features that eventually break things. Disable them and you will find things to work at full speed. Without disabling them doing a stress test against a CCR1036 will crash windows networking requiring a reboot for networking to work again from windows.

Best of luck - I'm sure you'll find something that works well - one thing, you didn't mention if Laptop or Desktop - but getting the USB adapter away from the computer on a USB extension does tend to help the RF performance...

It's a Zbox ID82 mini. And I'm also having similar issues with a USB-AC56R on it.

With a PCE-AC68 on a different computer in the same house, situated further away from the router, I'm not having problems.

Last edited:
Hi,

I'm using Windows 10 Pro 64 bit edition with a USB AC-53 adapter (I own two of these) along with a RT-AC3200 firmware version 3.0.0.4.378_7838

I am not using smart connect.

I'm connecting on 5Ghz-2 at 80 Mhz.

For the life of me, I can't figure out what's causing this problem. I can reproduce this issue on more than one computer, and it happens with both USB AC-53 adapters.

Help would be greatly appreciated. For example, I'm wondering if there's a setting under the Professional tab that would address this problem. Or is there a setting under the Advanced tab in the USB adapter device properties that would fix this?

Edit: Merlin firmware 378.55 doesn't seem to help either.

So, anyway, I resolved this issue by using Netgear a6200 drivers Software Version 1.0.0.26-1
http://downloadcenter.netgear.com/en/product/A6200#searchResults

Pretty sad that Asus doesn't update its drivers for Windows 10 and that I'm having to rely on Netgear's.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!