What's new

USB conflicts

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Shay Zafrir

New Around Here
I have RT-AC5300 running on merlin v 380.68_4 with two usb devices attached. One is hdd that I use for samba and dlna and the other USB drive that I use for entware and reverse proxy.

Whenever I boot the router one of three things happens (randomly):
1. everything works fine
2. one of the usb devices doesn't mount
3. both devices mount but the samba stops (not the dlna)

I tried to disable "Reducing USB 3.0 interference" - no luck.
The same settings worked without any conflicts on older asus routers.

Any thoughts?

The standard advice elsewhere on the forum is to disconnect all USB drives before rebooting the router.

It seems the router tests the file system of the drives and if they are large, it can run out of memory during the start up process.

The standard advice elsewhere on the forum is to disconnect all USB drives before rebooting the router.

It seems the router tests the file system of the drives and if they are large, it can run out of memory during the start up process.

thank you. The problem with this solution is that you can't reboot from far. The other thing that somewhat contradicts the reason you mentioned is that my RT-N66U boots perfectly with these drives with no memory problems. It is strange to see the RT AC5300 fails due to memory where the N66U succeeds...
what puzzles me is the inconsistency. When I reboot the router a few times (usually 2 more times software reboot after physical on-off) it does work.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!