What's new

USB Disk mounting order ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Pep Legal

New Around Here
I have an internal micro-SD card in my RT-N66U (merlin-firmware).

It was given an automatic name of sda1, on which I installed Entware and Transmission....So Far So Good. Everything works.

But today...after connecting an external hard-drive (which is being called Samsung )...my internal micro-SD is now being named sdb1....and Transmission stopped working.

Please...how can I keep the old "name" (sda1) for the internal micro-SD card.

Any help would be very appreciated.

(a second question...not so important, but let's go...How can I put Transmission starting on a lower priority CPU level ? - because file transfers get slooowww when Transmission is downloading )

Thanks again.

Last edited:
You can't. Device names are arbitrarily assigned by the kernel. You have to use volume labels if you want a disk to consistently mount under a specific name.

Code:
tune2fs /dev/sda1 -L VolumeLabel

Thank You !

Thank you very much ! :)

I think I will have to reinstall Entware and Transmission after giving a new label...right ?

BTW...could you (or anybody else) tell me how I could change some script for starting Transmission on a lower CPU priority.

As I said...if Transmission is downloading, any other activity using that Disk becomes sloooooowwww.

Regards.

I think I will have to reinstall Entware and Transmission after giving a new label...right ?

If it has any hardcoded path then you might have to do that. It's possible you could also just edit the Entware startup script to refer to the new path. I'm not an expert in Optware/Entware so I don't know more than that, sorry.

BTW...could you (or anybody else) tell me how I could change some script for starting Transmission on a lower CPU priority.

As I said...if Transmission is downloading, any other activity using that Disk becomes sloooooowwww.

You can use "renice" to change the priority after it's running. Keep in mind that renice gives a "nice" value. So, a positive nice value means a lower priority. However if your bottleneck is the disk I/O then a nicer value might not help much. The USB disk on an RT-N66U will cap at around 12-18 MB/s depending on the filesystem used.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!