What's new

USB failed on Ac68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ss_pam

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

Looks like my attached usb drive may have bitten the dusk. I am getting the following errors and my cpu cores are both constantly at 100%. DNS to website loading is taking a long time.

Apr 4 15:34:05 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 8653968
Apr 4 15:34:05 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 8654064
Apr 4 15:34:05 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 8653264
Apr 4 15:34:06 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 8653552
Apr 4 15:40:02 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 8653648
Apr 4 15:40:03 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 8653968
Apr 4 15:40:03 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 8654064
Apr 4 15:40:03 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 8653264
Apr 4 15:40:03 kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev sda, sector 8653552

What is the best way to go about replacing a currupt usb with minimal disruption ot he rest of my set up. I was only running skynet and Diversion so don;t wan't to have to go down the path of factory reset and reinputting all my other router settings.

I spend a lot of time a few years ago understanding and setting it all up but can't remember exactly what else would be affected to swapping ou the usb. I remember the jffs partion is on there but can't remember what the jffs would impact on the rest of the router? I don't think it bothers the nvram in any way which holds all the router settings if i am correct?

SO what's the least painful way to re-place the usb? Thanks

p.s I am also running older firmware 384.15 because i remember there being some compatability issues with updating on the older router, or having to go through a factory reset to get to the next firmware version so I just stuck with what I had. I have so many firewall settings that it would be really time consuming to have to factory re-set and re-install settings manually which i just can;t commit to at the moment. However if this is no longer the case I can also upgrade the firmware without factory reset then it would make sense for me to do that now at the same time as installing new usb, so if anyone knws whether this is, or is not the case, please le me know.

Thanks for any assistance in advance

EDIT: I forgot to mention. I have kept fiarly regularish external back-ups of my jffs partition using the build in admin settings. So wondering how this factors into replacing the usb as quicky as possible? Can I jsut insert a new usd and load the backup or is it just as easier to fresh-install amtm and get diversion and skynet back on from there?

Last edited:
SO what's the least painful way to re-place the usb?
Some suggestions here:

Pretty hard to brick an Asus router.

How did you attempt it? With which firmware file?

Yes, I saw that thread eventually. Wish people would put appropriate links where needed when they're posting to multiple threads simultaneously. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!