What's new

USB hard drive - SMB1 protocol issue

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

adambean

Regular Contributor
Hey all,

When trying to access a hard drive attached to the USB port of a GT-AC5300 via unc (\\GT-AC5300), I get the following:

"You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack. Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747"

That link says SMB1 was disabled in W10 by design.

So I guess the question is, can these routers support SMB2 or using a USB hard drive for local networks just a dumb idea? Or is there a different way I'm supposed to be able to access this drive from Window?

Thanks

Hey all,

When trying to access a hard drive attached to the USB port of a GT-AC5300 via unc (\\GT-AC5300), I get the following:

"You can't connect to the file share because it's not secure. This share requires the obsolete SMB1 protocol, which is unsafe and could expose your system to attack. Your system requires SMB2 or higher. For more info on resolving this issue, see: https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=852747"

That link says SMB1 was disabled in W10 by design.

So I guess the question is, can these routers support SMB2 or using a USB hard drive for local networks just a dumb idea? Or is there a different way I'm supposed to be able to access this drive from Window?

Thanks

Asus stock only supports SMB1 protocol for some reason, Merlin's has SMB2 implemented but he doesn't support your router model.

Your only choice is to reactivate SMB1 protocol support in the activate/desactivate Windows features panel.

Is it advisable to enable SMB1 though?
The impetuous to disable SMBv1 increased after the WannaCry outbreak that infected hundreds of thousands of computers worldwide. It's spread was accelerated through a weakness in SMBv1. At the time it was just the most recent in a long list of major malware outbreaks associated with SMBv1.

The larger the network the more devastating the effect. But it still has to start with an infected device. Is SMBv1 safe for a home network? Probably, provided you keep all your devices' anti-virus software updated. Everything in life (and computing) is a risk, you just have to be aware and make your own judgement. Do I use SMBv1 at home? Yes I do. But I also have offline backups of everything important. Would I use it in a business environment? Not anymore.

YMMV

For some reason, some Windows 10 PC's got SMB 1.0 client disabled and server enabled.

"Control Panel" > "Programs" > "Programs and Features" > "Turn Windows features on or off" > "SMB 1.0/CIFS File Sharing Support" > "+" check Automatic Removal and Client, un-select Server.

This is how most PC's end up, but for some reason my Dell Win10 OEM at work ended up backwards after one of the WIN10 updates.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!