What's new

USB harddrive - issue with access via login/password

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

0c7or0k

New Around Here
I have an rt-n66u (firmware current), I also have a seagate backup+ mac 2tb hard drive which I reformatted ntfs - I have 2 questions:

1) I created a shared folder on the hd (using the router interface - 192.168.1.1). I mapped to that network location via windows and have no problem accessing the shared folder on the harddrive. However, in order to connect to it via any of my family's PCs, I am required to input a login and password, and the only login/password that works (for every computer on my network) is my routers primary admin login/password - that isn't safe at all; I dont want that info being known or used by anyone but me! How do I create a stand alone password specific to conecting to the hard drive via windows>my network?

2) Is there a better way to map to my harddrive, or to view it as a drive (ie Z: ) rather than creating a shared folder and mapping there using the "map a network drive" function?

thanks!!

1) Go to the AiDisk configuration page on your router, add a new user, and give that user access to the folder you wish to share.

2) Network shares on the router work at the folder level, not at the whole disk level. If that is an issue, then create a folder at the root, share that folder, and move all subfolders inside that new folder.