What's new

USB Memory Stick Errors

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mstrom62

Occasional Visitor
I have been putting USB memory sticks on my ASUS RT-AC56U. Usually a SanDisk Cruzer, but it doesn't seem to matter. I partition it in two partitions, Optware, and Store as EXT2. Inevitably I end up with errors on them, usually referring to problems from shutdown. Is there any way to avoid/fix this? There isn't any way to shut down the router other than pushing the off button, or at least not easily.

I have been putting USB memory sticks on my ASUS RT-AC56U. Usually a SanDisk Cruzer, but it doesn't seem to matter. I partition it in two partitions, Optware, and Store as EXT2. Inevitably I end up with errors on them, usually referring to problems from shutdown. Is there any way to avoid/fix this? There isn't any way to shut down the router other than pushing the off button, or at least not easily.

At the top of the main GUI web page (usually at 192.168.1.1), there is a button "REBOOT". From this same page, you can also "safely remove" a disk.

I'll look at that, but I'm not trying to safely remove the memory stick. It stays in the router all the time. But when I log into the router, I've always got a red circle around the USB 2.0 device, and I go check, and it says there are errors on the disk. I started setting the router to schedule a disk scan daily, because sometimes scanning the disk fixes the errors, but not very often, more often than not, something is messed up and it stays that way.

I assume that this happens from the router getting powered off, either from the power button being pressed, or the cord being unplugged, or simply a power outage, which happens.

I wouldn't think a flash drive would be so picky, 99% of the time there shouldn't even be any activity on it. Is there a write cache or something that is not getting all the data written to the drive?

[...]

I wouldn't think a flash drive would be so picky, 99% of the time there shouldn't even be any activity on it. Is there a write cache or something that is not getting all the data written to the drive?
Both partitions are ext2 ?
Suggestion: it is a small dlsk. Copy the content somewhere else, reformat (ext4 ?), bring back the content, and in the future make sure that when possible you reboot using the button, or click on Remove safely (even if you don't physically remove the stick).

Both partitions are ext2 ?
Suggestion: it is a small dlsk. Copy the content somewhere else, reformat (ext4 ?), bring back the content, and in the future make sure that when possible you reboot using the button, or click on Remove safely (even if you don't physically remove the stick).
Both Ext2, it is an 8GB Memstick. I make a 2GB optware partition, and the rest I call store. I don't have any data on it yet, as I haven't yet loaded optware. I used ext2 based on the FAQ on Merlins page for adding optware.

Both Ext2, it is an 8GB Memstick. I make a 2GB optware partition, and the rest I call store. I don't have any data on it yet, as I haven't yet loaded optware. I used ext2 based on the FAQ on Merlins page for adding optware.
Would you mind reformating it ? I was suggesting ext4 because the ac56u allow it.
https://www.asuswrt.eu/how-to-format-usb-drive

Would you mind reformating it ? I was suggesting ext4 because the ac56u allow it.
https://www.asuswrt.eu/how-to-format-usb-drive
Not at all, I'm in the process of reformatting as we speak. I found this about ext2 on a web site that reviewed the different types of Linux file systems "Lack of journaling can result in data loss in the event of a power failure or system crash"

I also remember something somewhere on the merlin site about it being better to do a memstick as ext2, but I can't find it now.

Not at all, I'm in the process of reformatting as we speak. I found this about ext2 on a web site that reviewed the different types of Linux file systems "Lack of journaling can result in data loss in the event of a power failure or system crash"

I also remember something somewhere on the merlin site about it being better to do a memstick as ext2, but I can't find it now.
Wow, creating an ext4 is sloooooooooooow compared to ext2. I'm using Minitool Partition Wizard Pro 9.0 to do it.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!