What's new

USB Mode 86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
In the helper description it describes the option as disable and enable, but the choices are USB 2.0 and 3.0. Enabling offers the best 2.4GHz wireless performance, however Disabling it offers the best USB 3.0 transmission speed and may effect the 2.4GHz range.

Does one option have an effect on the router CPU performance more than the other? Would completely disabling the 2.4GHz band help? I rarely see any of my devices on the 2.4GHz band as far as what I've observed, and it seems most of my issues that come up with the router are linked to the the 3.0 USB mode. I would like to continue using the 3.0 mode.

Thanks

It may have indirect impact. USB 2.0 limits the transfers to ~25MB/s. USB 3.0 allows >50MB/s and locks one CPU core at 100%. Anything else running on it will be more affected.
Wow, the RT-AC86U must have a pretty terrible processor :D. I didn't bother looking at the CPU loads but I am getting better transfer speeds than that with my old RT-AC68U.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!