What's new

USB over IP recs

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mbelanger

New Around Here
Not sure whether this is the proper place, but my question is LAN-related.

I've got a small UPS in my network cabinet that can only be configured/monitored over USB, which is a non-starter via hardline USB. Can anyone recommend a good USB over IP hardware solution that will let me connect the monitoring software over the LAN?

Thanks much,
MB

Not sure whether this is the proper place, but my question is LAN-related.

I've got a small UPS in my network cabinet that can only be configured/monitored over USB, which is a non-starter via hardline USB. Can anyone recommend a good USB over IP hardware solution that will let me connect the monitoring software over the LAN?

Thanks much,
MB
Hi!
So I can give you my two cents....
There is a software solution for sharing USB devices. For example, https://www.net-usb.com/can do it, but then the question is, as I understand it, does your physical USB not work?
In your place I would have used the software than the box that just need to be adjusted.

Not sure if this would work but buy a pair of USB - Ethernet adapters.

Assign them both static IPs on your LAN

Plug the first into the USB port on the on the UPS and then connect the Ethernet port to your LAN.

At the computer you want to use to monitor the UPS plug the other adapter in and see what happens. I have never tried using a USB/ Ethernet adapter in reverse. You probably should use an old computer in case the voltages and or pinning screws something up.

Adapters suitable for 10/100 Mbps connections are less than $10 each.

Hi!
So I can give you my two cents....
There is a software solution for sharing USB devices. For example, https://www.net-usb.com/can do it, but then the question is, as I understand it, does your physical USB not work?
In your place I would have used the software than the box that just need to be adjusted.

I think you misunderstand my need. As written, I have a UPS within a small networking cabinet that is monitored via USB. There is no room for a PC to connect to said UPS. Additionally, the network cabinet is about 50 feet away from my office/computer. I do have available ports in my switch within said cabinet. As such, I'm looking for a small device that I can connect from the UPS' USB port to the switch, which I can then remotely access via my office computer.

Not sure if this would work but buy a pair of USB - Ethernet adapters.

Assign them both static IPs on your LAN

Plug the first into the USB port on the on the UPS and then connect the Ethernet port to your LAN.

At the computer you want to use to monitor the UPS plug the other adapter in and see what happens. I have never tried using a USB/ Ethernet adapter in reverse. You probably should use an old computer in case the voltages and or pinning screws something up.

Adapters suitable for 10/100 Mbps connections are less than $10 each.

USB over Ethernet tend to be extenders, which allow you to run a cable over 100 feet, but the device is still physically connected to one's computer. I'm seeking something that works over TCP/IP, not just a cat5/6 cable.

So after a fair bit of research, the two leading candidates for a USB over IP (not just ethernet) solution are:

- Silex DS-600
- AnywhereUSB/2

Neither are a perfect fit, but assuming I go forward and order one, I'll update this thread with my results.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!