What's new

USB Printer on DSL-AC68U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

rbz5416

New Around Here
Not quite sure where to post this as it's not specific to the AC68U so please move if it's more appropriate elsewhere.

Wanting to add a USB printer to the router I downloaded the Asus utility & ran it. It finds the IP address & name of the router as indicated in the guide. It ends with the legend "Follow Windows directions to install drivers." Now maybe I'm being particularly thick here but what directions?

Searching for a new printer finds nothing. Trying to add a new port manually at the router's IP address finds nothing.

All I can get out of ASUS "support" is YouTube links on how to install the utility & that I need to install the drivers. Drivers will obviously default to USB so how do you point Windows to the print server within the router?

Last edited:
I am not familiar with the AC68U but I am thinking it may be similar to my AC86U. Though you don't state, I am going to assume that you have a Windows PC of some sort. Okay then, there are two steps to implementing a network printer:
  1. Connect your printer to the USB port of the Asus router and configure router to use that USB port as a network printer.
  2. On your Windows PC, add a network printer. Windows should see the printer.
Obviously Windows must have the appropriate printer drivers for this to work properly but if you are using the most current version of Windows and a printer that is a common brand, this should not be a problem. The website for your printer support should have the latest drivers and perhaps some network utilities.

Thanks.

As I said, searching for a new printer found nothing. Further research seems to suggest that the utility adds a virtual USB port that's then directed to the router, but I managed to get it working using the LPR method. No scanning ability though so I may give the EZ utility another go from another machine when I have the time.

Thanks.

As I said, searching for a new printer found nothing. Further research seems to suggest that the utility adds a virtual USB port that's then directed to the router, but I managed to get it working using the LPR method. No scanning ability though so I may give the EZ utility another go from another machine when I have the time.
Please provide make/model of printer.

LPR proves that the connection works.

Am I correct in assuming that the printer is 100% functional when USB connected directly to your PC? If so, then the Windows network printer support specifically for your printer is lacking appropriate piece of software or installation procedure. This is why most printer manufacturers include installation software with their product.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!