What's new

USB storage on RTN 66U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

randomName

Very Senior Member
I'm looking to use a USB 8GB stick so I can store and swap files between a few PC's and an Apple MBP across my home network. What app do I use on the 66U and how do I set it up???

Thanks! :)

Go to USB Applications, and go through the AiDisk configuration wizard. In your case, you'll want to use Samba (Network Sharing).

Go to USB Applications, and go through the AiDisk configuration wizard. In your case, you'll want to use Samba (Network Sharing).

Thank you so much for the reply! :)

What do I format the flash drive to seeing that I use both Mac and Widows machines?

Thank you again :)

Thank you so much for the reply! :)

What do I format the flash drive to seeing that I use both Mac and Widows machines?

Thank you again :)

Doesn't matter, as long it's supported by the router itself. With the RT-N66U that means either ext2, ext3 or NTFS.

Do I need to enable DLNA media server?

edit: i can see the server through an ftp, and internet connection through my browser but i can't upload any files..

Last edited:
Do I need to enable DLNA media server?

edit: i can see the server through an ftp, and internet connection through my browser but i can't upload any files..

No, but you probably have to enable Share and create one or more shares in the page "Network Place(Samba) Share / Cloud Disk".

I still don't get it. Is there a tutorial on this somewhere?

I still don't get it. Is there a tutorial on this somewhere?

You did set up everything on this page and try to connect to the share from a PC/MAC ? To make it easier at first, allow guest login.

Attachments

• asus-13b.jpg
    asus-13b.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 249
You did set up everything on this page and try to connect to the share from a PC/MAC ? To make it easier at first, allow guest login.

Ok, I'll try that first. But I didn't have it enabled before and was just logging in with my admin credentials to the ftp:xxx.xxx.x flash drive. It reached the drive and i thought to upload files to the folder I would just drag and drop them into the browser. Something is wrong somewhere.

It also wants me to enable the ftp server? Is this correct?

edit; it's also asking me to enable ddns, is this correct also ?

Last edited:
Ok, I'll try that first. But I didn't have it enabled before and was just logging in with my admin credentials to the ftp:xxx.xxx.x flash drive. It reached the drive and i thought to upload files to the folder I would just drag and drop them into the browser. Something is wrong somewhere.

It also wants me to enable the ftp server? Is this correct?

edit; it's also asking me to enable ddns, is this correct also ?
Don't know for the ftp server. I always work with the samba/shares. Sorry...

Don't use ftp, use Samba.

In Mac OS use the following type of URL in Safari: smb://ServerName/SharedFolder

In Windows just use Windows Explorer and browse the "Network".

Provided that you have setup the router and all of the PCs to use the same workgroup name you should have no problem.

If you still want to use ftp instead of Samba then you will have to enable the ftp server and create users on USB Application > FTP Share

In Windows, in the inbuildt firewall and/or in your antivirus software, you also need to open for outgoing-requests on port 445 on domain and private network (but not public - unless you want to access it via the internet aswell, in such case you'd need to open port 445 on your router aswell - which I do not recommend under any circumstances for samba/smb.)

In Windows, in the inbuildt firewall and/or in your antivirus software, you also need to open for outgoing-requests on port 445 on domain and private network (but not public - unless you want to access it via the internet aswell, in such case you'd need to open port 445 on your router aswell - which I do not recommend under any circumstances for samba/smb.)
???
Using Samba/shares, it is working for me on windows 7 and 8, and never I had to explicitly open a port ...

???
Using Samba/shares, it is working for me on windows 7 and 8, and never I had to explicitly open a port ...
That is correct. Windows Firewall already has a pre-configured rule called "File and Printer Sharing". Provided that is allowed for the private network everything should be OK. No need to create another rule.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!