What's new

USB Swap or Not?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Sean Rhodes

Regular Contributor
What's the consensus on adding a swap partition to an Entware mounted USB? I have heard both for and against, both with reasonable arguments.

Currently I have Entware-ng on a USB stick with both Entware and data ext2 partitions, but can't decide on whether I should add a swap partition, and if so, what would be a reasonable size.

Thanks in advance

I just added a swap file per the instructions to install Debian Wheezy and after doing so, applications like syncthing which initially gave me memory errors, are now running fine. What have you heard/read against having a swap partition on a mounted USB drive?

I'd never recommend to split system oriented slices (which /swap is) across devices if any device is even remotely possible to remove - e.g. yanking a thumb drive that is easy to get to... if there's a way to physically put it inside the case, might be a different story...

Would have been nice for Asus to drop in an SDIO slot inside the case for many models - it's only four pins, and one can program the GPIO's (if broken out and not NC, the BCM has enough of them) - would make life easier for many - SDIO isn't as fast as USB, but generally good enough to run from...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!