What's new

USB-toWiFi Adapter for Scanner?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Quantum`

Occasional Visitor
Most scanners seem to have USB, and those which have wireless mandate WPS as the only way of associating. Well I have a professional setup and there is no infernal WPS.

So I'm looking at putting a usb-to-wifi adapter on the scanner's USB port so it can join the LAN, but it appears that all such adapters require a firmware download from the client in order to start up?

Is this why they always say to insert their CD into the computer and install the driver, whether Winduhs, Mac, or Linux?

I'm looking at the Netgear A6150, and you need a specific driver for its Realtek chipset. It would be such a hassle and disappointment to return if it doesn't work on the scanner.

Anyone know of a solution to this?

Ethernet connected scanner? :)

(Almost 100% certain what you want won't work).

That was suggested in another thread, but ideally I'd like to avoid running yet another wire from my switch, if possible.

If you truly want/need wireless, then choose a wireless model that doesn't depend on WPS for connectivity.

What kind of features do you need for your scanner? I'm sure there is a model available more suitable than the rabbit-hole you're heading into. :)

Ya, probably not possible.

I've been liking the Canons, but my theory is that any combo always compromises both functions, and there's more to go wrong. Good to know that at least some don't require infernal WPS.

The Canon LiDE is nice and compact, but only one USB port for both power and comms. So no ethernet adapter. CanoScan looks Ok.

Higher rez would be better. Would like a page feeder, but most page feeder scanners can only do full pages, not cards, receipts, etc. Still casting around.

If you have a phone, you don't really need a scanner.

Adobe Scan and Microsoft Lens work great, for example. :)

Reactions: KW.
Regular "headless" USB wifi adapters won't work, as they require a compatible host OS that can direct the adapter as a NIC. Even a network-capable scanner won't be able to make use of a USB port in that way. So that method is out.

You could try to find a wireless USB-to-USB adapter kit, but they don't seem to be all that available or very well supported at this point.

You could probably rig up a thin client or NUC/USFF/micro PC to host the scanner via USB, then network-share the scanner via the host's wireless connection to the network, but that's more independent points of failure to have to manage, and perhaps just buying a network-enabled scanner that's standalone-capable (no PC needed), is the better way to go. Something like a Raven, Epson 2800W or Fujitsu ix1500. Yes, they're spendy, but the problem is solved in a much more straight-forward way.

I can't imagine any decent brand of scanner produced in the last 5 years would be limited to WPS for wireless connectivity. Personally, I like the Brother MFC units. Cheap and reliable in the many years I've used them personally and recommended them for family members.

Or, as @dosborne said, just get an MFP with a flatbed/ADF scanner on it, as they will run cheaper than most dedicated document scanners (although the ADFs are usually way slower, but usually good enough for most SOHO needs).

Agh, but I'm not willing to compromise on the scanner. Now looking at the Epson Perfection V600.

It is seeming as though scanning protocol is not compatible with ethernet directy.

Looks like I have two choices for a remote scanner:
- Add a nanocomputer to run SANE as yet another machine in my constellation, and serve up the scanner to the LAN, as cited by Trip; or
- Use an active USB system to run a longline to the server.

What a headache.

Its not that the scanning protocol isn't compatible, its that the OS and the software of the scanner aren't compatible.

There are native Ethernet capable scanners out there. It really depends on what features you really want if you are going to spend $200 or $1500. My Brother MFC scans decently...at least for what I use it for which is basic doc capture...and was not expensive. It in theory supports network scanning, but I never set it up since SD cards work fine in my specific use case.

Canon, HP, and several others all make SOHO and Enterprise grade equipment to do exactly what you are trying to do from a connectivity perspective. All a matter if the price lines up along with the specific features you are after.

I'm a cheapskate and am looking for high-grade scanners on Craigslist and OfferUp. Found a nice Epson Perfection V600 for $150. I've offered her $80 but no response, lol. May have to bite the bullet.

I've decided that I have an old RPi B with busted ethernet which I can repurpose as a scanner server for the LAN using wifi. I think this is more useful (and cheaper) than an active USB longline to the main server. (Thanks again Trip)

Thing is, I did an external antenna mod on it and I can't find its pigtail. Don't know if I've damaged it to the point of irreversibility. If I have it's trash and I have an old 3B+ I can use.

Thanks guys for helping me work this out. But now every one of my posts is requiring Mod approval. So either they don't want me here, or my repeated attempts to post to this slow and busted forum server makes me look like a spammer. I've got the message and will go away.

Last edited:
@Quantum`, please don't go away! The Mod approval is not very smart (its a bot itself, after all) and hits all of us with temporary lockouts every once in a while with a word or phrase it (only) thinks is inappropriate.

Please continue to haunt these forums along with the rest of us. I'm sure we'll all benefit if you do. :)

I know you have another solution in mind, but, I just want to throw it out there (maybe for others), that I have very successfully used a cheap MFC scanner to do some very intricate high end jobs in the past. The $50 combo unit outperformed my dedicated $800 scanner.

How the raspberry Pi route works out for you. I love those little guys and just added a Pi4B-2GB to my "collection" for something to play with while hunkering down at home :)

(The post moderation indeed hits us all. I had some posts held a couple weeks ago. Don't take it personally :) )

After much research and agonizing over scanners, I've decided on the Epson Perfection V370.

Why? Because it is the ONLY scanner with the lid hinge long-ways. And the lid opens 180*. And it has quite a good resolution.

Considered the mobile scanners, and the sheet-feed scanners, but need a flatbed, for books, receipts, cards, etc.

Why is it that every other scanner in the world has the lid hinge on the short side, so you have to flop up a huge long lid for every page? Are they stupid or something?

Reminds me of the early days of GPS devices where every single nav system had their display in landscape mode! Well you're traveling UP... duh, so you got the shortest view ahead. Were they stupid or something? ALL of them? So I used TomTom on my phone so I could use it the -right- way, portrait.

And I ask now, why is it that every single nav system defaults to your present way UP? You never know which actual direction you're going, and this actually matters. I always set so North remains UP. This gives you much better situational awareness. Needless to say you can't do 3D like this but I get alot more information.

FWIW I use the open-source Osmand~ from F-Droid, which uses OpenMaps. (The twiddle after it is important) Download the whole world to your phone (if you have a 128GB SD card), and never need cell service. Also get topo, hill shading, satellite view, measured radius circles around you, and much more. It's a bit to learn and get used to but it's the best nav I've ever used, in 23 years of nav use.

@Quantum`, thanks for the update and your unique take on why details matter. :)

Waits for @Quantum` in a back alley after school...

:D