What's new

Use external wifi as wan?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

badbob001

Occasional Visitor
Is there a mode that lets me connect the router to an external wifi, like a hotel wifi, and then share that wifi connection with clients over wifi? So essentially a wifi-to-wifi hotspot.

I guess if I use two routers, I can set one to "media bridge" mode to connect to the external wifi, connect a lan port to the wan port of another router, and then connect wifi clients to the second router.

What you've described is just a wireless repeater. But I'm guessing there's some other functionality of your router that you want but haven't told us about.

What you've described is just a wireless repeater. But I'm guessing there's some other functionality of your router that you want but haven't told us about.

You're right, but I failed to mention that I want the external wifi to think there is only one client connection. My use case is for a wifi connection that requires using a browser to register first, and that is not possible for IoT devices.

I knew some travel routers offer this feature and now I see that they even have a name for the mode: WISP (Wireless ISP).

It's common in Travel Routers - it's not a repeater...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!