What's new

Use USB antenna for routers

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mark777

Occasional Visitor
Can you use an USB Wifi antena (not those with port like the coaxial cable) for your router to extend and have more powerful Wifi. Some routers have attached antenna that you can't remove them and replace with stronger anttena that you can find on internet. For the routers that have ports where you can mount easy an external antenna like those ports that look like the coacial cable, it is simple that you can change easily the antenna. What about those other routers that you can't change their antenna because they don't have this kind of ports where you can mount external antenna like in this image:
ZxV8xBF.jpg

If your router doesnt have this chance, can you use the USB port of the router to mount there a USB Wifi antenna that works for routers. I am asking because these USB Wifi antenna are mainly for computers and you install them by installng even a driver in the computer in order to work this antennas. My questions are:
-Is there any USB Wifi external antenna that you can mount easily in the USB port of the router to have a stronger wifi.
-Can you use those USB Wifi antennas used for computers even for the routers (those USB Wifi antennas usually need to install a driver to work.

Sorry, it's difficult to understand what you are saying. There is no such thing as a "USB WiFi antenna".

I think you are talking about a USB WiFi adapter, like this:
31a-mSVM4kL._SL160_.jpg

If that is what you are talking about then they are not usually compatible with home routers. It would depend on what router you have.

Last edited:
Sorry, it's difficult to understand what you are saying. There is no such thing as a "USB WiFi antenna".

I think you are talking about a USB WiFi adaptor, like this:
31a-mSVM4kL._SL160_.jpg

If that is what you are talking about then they are not usually compatible with home routers. It would depend on what router you have.
Yes I mean this kind of devices instead of words USB Wifi antenna put the words USB Wifi adaptor into the questions I have made. Can you ellaborate more your answer, which type of routers with which type of USB Wifi adaptors can use?

which type of routers with which type of USB Wifi adaptors can use?
Sorry, I don't know of any. But that doesn't meant there aren't any.

The main problem is that almost all USB WiFi adapters only work as clients but you are asking for one that works as an access point.

Even if you could find an adapter that worked as an access point most of them have a very low power output compared to a normal WiFi router.

Maybe @sfx2000 could provide some insight into available options.

Sorry, I don't know of any. But that doesn't meant there aren't any.

The main problem is that almost all USB WiFi adapters only work as clients but you are asking for one that works as an access point.

Even if you could find an adapter that worked as an access point most of them have a very low power output compared to a normal WiFi router.

Maybe @sfx2000 could provide some insight into available options.

Not sure what the use case here is - there are a couple of options where a USB dongle can be a router/AP (either independently or with OS support from Win/Mac/Linux)...

I'm just up to my shoulders with startup work these days, so might take some time to answer up...

I'm having difficulty these days just keeping Hanzo the Cat fed on time, but we manage, and Hanzo gets his Noms - if that's not QoS...

;)

sfx

When I read the OP's post I am interpeting it as they would like to use a more powerful high gain antenna with their current router but their current router doesn't have detachable antennas so they would like to attach the more powerful high gain antenna to the router via the USB port. I don't consider myself an expert in this area but I will take a stab at the answer....NO, this will not work. :)

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!