What's new

User NVRAM Save/Restore Utility (R26.2)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a quick question for resssurance. Can this tool be used to move NVRAM and JFFS variables between MIPS and ARM based Asus routers? Thanks

I would say no.

Just a quick question for resssurance. Can this tool be used to move NVRAM and JFFS variables between MIPS and ARM based Asus routers? Thanks
Yes, it should work since it doesn't touch any of the system related settings. Just make sure your run it with the -m (migrate) option.

But I honestly don't know/remember any feedback one way or another for this case.

A couple things I can think of with respect to the jffs.....if you have references to default mount points (sda, etc) they may change. Also, if you do anything in scripts that are model specific , like overclocking, running those would be a problem.

Yes, it should work since it doesn't touch any of the system related settings. Just make sure your run it with the -m (migrate) option.

But I honestly don't know/remember any feedback one way or another for this case.

A couple things I can think of with respect to the jffs.....if you have references to default mount points (sda, etc) they may change. Also, if you do anything in scripts that are model specific , like overclocking, running those would be a problem.

The powers of this utility continue to impress me. :)

Can it backup/restore the certificates from OpenVPN client?
In my case didn't do it and maybe I have done something wrong.

Can it backup/restore the certificates from OpenVPN client?
In my case didn't do it and maybe I have done something wrong.
From the release notes:
JFFS Restore: Some of the later code levels also clear jffs during a restore to factory
defaults. (Things such as OpenVPN certificates and TrendMicro data are now stored in the
jffs space. In order to fully restore your system, you therefore need to run
jffs-restore.sh following nvram-restore.sh

Hi,

wondering if this brilliant tool is able to save/restore all nvram settings of 380.63 ?

No reason it shouldn't. From which firmware and which router though?

Hi,

wondering if this brilliant tool is able to save/restore all nvram settings of 380.63 ?
Part of what makes this tool 'safe' is that I actually specify what needs to be saved. I need to make a run through looking for any changes in the latest Merlin (the diff printout is sitting on my desk, just haven't had the opportunity to go through it yet). Will try and push it up on my to-do list :)

Do you need to use a USB stick or is it possible to use something like WinSCP to copy the files to a temp area on the router?

To answer my own question - I created a new directory under jffs called temp. I copied all of the files from this utility into that folder, made the shell scripts executable and then was able to create the backup, all without ever leaving the seat from my main PC which is on a different floor than the router.

Last edited:
Is there a guide for how to use this utility? I looked around, but could not find a noob friendly version. I am using the RTN66U (merlin) and want to move to AC68U. Appreciate any help.

Is there a guide for how to use this utility? I looked around, but could not find a noob friendly version. I am using the RTN66U (merlin) and want to move to AC68U. Appreciate any help.
Unfortunately, it's only semi-noob friendly :) My best shot is in the Quickstart.txt file in the zip.

At a high level
- format a USB key with a volume label of ASUS
- copy the contents of the zip file to the USB key
- plug the USB key to the source router
- telnet/ssh to the router and run
chmod a+rx /mnt/ASUS/*.sh
/mnt/ASUS/nvram-save.sh -m (-m for migration)
/mnt/ASUS/jffs-save.sh
- power down the source router and remove the USB key (don't want both routers on-line at the same time)
- replace the router and move the USB key to the new router
- telnet/ssh to the new router and run
/mnt/ASUS/nvram-restore.sh
/mnt/ASUS/jffs-restore.sh
- reboot and things should come up like before :)

Unfortunately, it's only semi-noob friendly :) My best shot is in the Quickstart.txt file in the zip.

At a high level
- format a USB key with a volume label of ASUS
- copy the contents of the zip file to the USB key
- plug the USB key to the source router
- telnet/ssh to the router and run
chmod a+rx /mnt/ASUS/*.sh
/mnt/ASUS/nvram-save.sh -m (-m for migration)
/mnt/ASUS/jffs-save.sh
- power down the source router and remove the USB key (don't want both routers on-line at the same time)
- replace the router and move the USB key to the new router
- telnet/ssh to the new router and run
/mnt/ASUS/nvram-restore.sh
/mnt/ASUS/jffs-restore.sh
- reboot and things should come up like before :)
A nice UI for the noob's coming in a release sometime this century.

It's on my list to take a look at your AB code......nice work there. But.....so much to do, so little time :)
Assuming you're above the 20th birthday mark, you'll be done before the 2100 new year's eve.

I can confirm that after moving my settings from an AC66U to an AC68U there were no issues with the migration. All settings migrated great and it came up like a champ! Great work John:)

OK all.....here's a quick script to allow you to save and restore a small number of NVRAM variables. Unzip the file (rename the attachment to remove the .txt) and copy the save-mynvram.sh script to any folder you want in jffs or an attached USB drive and make it executable. For example, copy it to /jffs/scripts and
chmod a+rx /jffs/scripts/save-mynvram.sh

Usage
save-mynvram.sh var1 var2 var3 ...

where var1 etc are the names of the NVRAM variables you want to save. It will make a

restore-mynvram.sh

script in the same directory to restore the variables you entered when saving.

It handles:
- special characters in the nvram variable
- embedded carriage returns in the nvram variable
- it will make a single backup copy of the previous restore script (restore-mynvram.sh.bak) if a restore script is already there

Hi John! Is there a list of NVRAM variables that I can use with your script somewhere? I tried to search but couldn't find it. Thank you!

Hi John! Is there a list of NVRAM variables that I can use with your script somewhere? I tried to search but couldn't find it. Thank you!
The mini-script will work with any nvram variable there is....but to be safe stick with only the ones I have defined for the 'big' nvram-save tool (non-system). Take a look in nvram-merlin.ini in the zip download for a list.

The mini-script will work with any nvram variable there is....but to be safe stick with only the ones I have defined for the 'big' nvram-save tool (non-system). Take a look in nvram-merlin.ini in the zip download for a list.

Thanks John! I figured out I can also do

Code:
nvram show > nvram_var_list.txt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!